Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being an Atheist Teen is hard...
What's up, guys?

Well, here goes nothing. My name is Nick. I'm a sophomore at high school and I'm very new to what I call "open atheism". By that, I mean being out of the atheist closet, or at least "kind of". I've been an atheist since I was 14, so my de-conversion was pretty recent. Man, there's just so much frustration with my new life. Especially when you live in a town full of idiots. Every time I tell someone I'm an atheist at school, they give me a dirty look or act so shocked. The good news is that I've met a fellow freethinker who is also fairly new to atheism. But it still doesn't change the fact that we're outnumbered. There's just been so much abuse since I've opened up. People have been calling me a fool for not believing in God, and others just say I'm going to hell.

Yeah. It's the usual crap atheist teenagers face. But I know that if I keep my head high and graduate, then I'll be free to do what I want. I know I have a good future ahead of me, and I'm not gonna let some crazy pastor order me around like a dog. Stay strong, guys and gals.
Aww... (Hugs)
We should really start an "It gets better" campaign for atheist youths...
RE: Being an Atheist Teen is hard...
That look is the same look directed at people who openly identify themselves as Christian.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(September 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm)spikedhair95 Wrote: Yeah. It's the usual crap atheist teenagers face. But I know that if I keep my head high and graduate, then I'll be free to do what I want. I know I have a good future ahead of me, and I'm not gonna let some crazy pastor order me around like a dog. Stay strong, guys and gals.
Shiver me timbers! Land lubbers one and all, They never opened their eyes to see a far shore, They be needing a length of hemp about their pretty necks. Jim me lad, thou hast had a true vision of a vast rolling sea let not these little rats with closed eyes stop thee from plotting a sturdy wake. Thou has a buckos heart. Arrgh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM1NUGlo2ww
[Image: signiture_zps1665b542.gif]
Stay strong friend.
Welcome to AF, here you will find that atheist are not outnumbered, even though we do have a lot of believers aboard. But most here are nice, so I hope you'll enjoy your stay. Hang in there IRL, come here to vent if things feel too tough. Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome.

(September 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm)Polaris Wrote: That look is the same look directed at people who openly identify themselves as Christian.
That's bullshit and you know it. Yeah, if you say it to an atheist or somebody who worships a different god, you MIGHT get that. But the chances are that you'll be talking to a Christian since they are a majority. As atheists, we also don't have to have some ignorant mindset like "I can't be your friend, you're going to hell" or "I need to spend every minute of my life trying to convert you. I've never met an atheist who has openly insulted somebody for being Christian.
[Image: Mv4GC.png]
The true beauty of a self-inquiring sentient universe is lost on those who elect to walk the intellectually vacuous path of comfortable paranoid fantasies.
(September 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm)Polaris Wrote: That look is the same look directed at people who openly identify themselves as Christian.

With more reason.

Quote:But it still doesn't change the fact that we're outnumbered

Everyone feels that way in high school.

Welcome.
(September 24, 2012 at 9:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

With more reason.

Quote:But it still doesn't change the fact that we're outnumbered

Everyone feels that way in high school.

Welcome.

Same reason. People don't give a fuck about your religious or anti-religious views in public. It's that whole keep it to yourself thing.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
There are xtians who have conned themselves into thinking they have a "personal relationship" with the god who created the universe.

They are fucking idiots and if they advertise that fact they deserve a few funny looks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scrupulosity and being an atheist WolfsChild 15 3642 June 17, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Atheism is very, VERY hard. LittleAFish 40 6518 March 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Being an OCD atheist is not easy Beta Ray Bill 9 7708 July 12, 2013 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Beta Ray Bill