Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 10, 2024, 2:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being forced to go to church.
Being forced to go to church.
I'm literally made to go to chuch every time there's a service. My parents never listen when I say I have no desire to hear what they're saying, entirely respect their religion, and I don't believe any of it. It's not that I don't like the people there, well most of them, it's just, I don't want to listen to it. Regardless of that, I smile and wave to everyone, stand with the rest of the congregation during their worship, and even help with things around the church. I'm really respectful to the church, and the people there and they can't use their Christian "love and tolerance" to tolerate me having my own beliefs, and let me be excluded from church activities, at least once in a while?

Complete bullshit.
RE: Being forced to go to church.
I worked out a deal with my mom when I was in high school. I got a job working in the church nursery. She was happy because I was technically at church. I was happy because I didn't have to sit in the congregation, I got a ton of babysitting jobs, and earned some money. Depending on the size of your church they may or may not pay the nursery workers, but you could still volunteer. Just an idea.
If your parents are forcing you to go listen to bullshit every Sunday, you should turn the tables and ask questions that make them defend the most ridiculous aspects of their beliefs. For example, you could ask why the Babble allows you to own slaves. You could ask why Jesus gives instrructions on how to treat your slaves but he never says that slavery is wrong. You could point out all the contradictions and inaccuracies in the Babble. The list is endlesss. Maybe once they realize you're not "learning" what they want you to learn they'll give up and leave you at home.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
My anglican father hated catholics that much that he often refused to let my mum take me to any kind of catholic event.

Including church.
(March 31, 2013 at 10:56 am)Thor Wrote: If your parents are forcing you to go listen to bullshit every Sunday, you should turn the tables and ask questions that make them defend the most ridiculous aspects of their beliefs. For example, you could ask why the Babble allows you to own slaves. You could ask why Jesus gives instrructions on how to treat your slaves but he never says that slavery is wrong. You could point out all the contradictions and inaccuracies in the Babble. The list is endlesss. Maybe once they realize you're not "learning" what they want you to learn they'll give up and leave you at home.

This. Try to have fun with it if at all possible. I have no idea how you get through that bullshit - I only ever went to church for shit like marriages and if a cousin was getting baptized.
(March 31, 2013 at 12:48 pm)Psykhronic Wrote: This. Try to have fun with it if at all possible. I have no idea how you get through that bullshit - I only ever went to church for shit like marriages and if a cousin was getting baptized.

I agree! Be good natured and smile when you ask questions that will make them uncomfortable. They won't know how to deal with it. Do it every week and there's a good chance they'll eventually give up.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
After you get back from your weekly brainwashing session come here for a debriefing.

Your parents are control freaks. Is this the only aspect of your life that they try to dictate?
(March 31, 2013 at 12:35 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: My anglican father hated catholics that much that he often refused to let my mum take me to any kind of catholic event.

Including church.
See, religion isn't -always- useless...
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
They force you because they're dictators, yes, but also because they think they are fighting the war against the evil that wants you to go to hell. They think they have to try and get you saved.

Make them uncomfortable with the questions as Thor suggested, but just keep in mind that they are probably hurting when you do, so don't be mean. Just uncomfortable.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
As your manager of strife, discord, and destruction I would be remiss if I didn't suggest otherwise. Be mean.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!