Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I actually believed this bullshit without being indoctrinated!
Lightbulb 
I actually believed this bullshit without being indoctrinated!
Here is my story. I was born into a nuclear atheist family with a good portion of the extended family being Roman Catholics. At least they aren't asshole fundamentalists. My nuclear family has 2 bibles. One being a thumper and the other one being a Children's Illustrated Bible. I read the child version just because it was so entertaining. I don't honestly know how old i was, but i was basically a little kid. Upon always reading it, I became a bedtime theist. That means I was trying to obey my Voice, that I thought was a nice and merciful God, when it told me that to impress it, actually what my Mom had told me that my brain regurgitated during thought activity, when I got into bed and tried to hold my eyes closed long enough to fall asleep.

I eventually debunked most of the bible but for one thing. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out, how Jesus walked on the water, partially because I was a swimmer for the most part of my life. I actually tried to do it in our personal swimming pool. Guess what happened? I magically was able to walk across the water just like Jesus! Not!! I failed miserably and concluded that the Jesus walking on water trick was just a magically act as was part of the story. So I became an atheist. Some time i was visited by some Jehovah witnesses. That episode didn't end as well as I had wished. I once attended a baptism of one of my cousins. I am now a strong atheist. My position on many world's problems is this: if everyone used critical thinking and science and human constructiveness the world would be a much better place. All impediments to these three fundamental concepts must be wiped off the planet.

Edit: I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts about this.

RE: I actually believed this bullshit without being indoctrinated!
HI!!!!!!!!!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
"I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out, how Jesus walked on the water, partially because I was a swimmer for the most part of my life."

Yeah..neither could I until I realized Jesus was just as fictional as Superman.. then it made sense.
I finally found one actual use for God...the entertainment industry!!! God can hang out with people like him: Superman, Batman, Cat-woman, Robin (Batman's sidekick and Robin Hood), Pokemon, Digemon, the Incredibles, Petter Pan, fairies, Santa, the Easter Bunny, Harry Potter, and the Grinch. Did I leave out anyone else important?FSM Grin
(February 27, 2011 at 10:54 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: HI!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome.
as a child, i also didn't believe the water walking, five fish fixing a famine, the parting of the red sea or any of that crap. (also, you can't wander a desert for 40 years. life expectancy wasn't long enough to be born, develope and then decide to follow. you'd die too quickly.) and the arc? one man can't make a boat that big in such little time, collect all those animals,
-from all over the world, mind you- and fit them all in one boat. logically, that doesn't make any sense, either. (also, imagine the stench on that vessel... yuck city.) for as long as i can remember, logic has always played the biggest role in my decision making and way of everyday life. if i wanted to dream fantasy, i'd read the lord of the rings. but even that's too far-fetched for me.
...a celestial North Korea...
How about Harry Potter?
i'm not a big fan of fantasy at all.
...a celestial North Korea...
Neither am I, unless it's for entertainment.
When you are finished being an infantile imbecile will you get to your point?

You were young...and stoopid...the parental figures in your environment were of no assistance what so ever...you grew up...(aka 'matured') and now we find you here...so???
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Month Without Faith - Thank you. Spacetime 30 6322 July 17, 2015 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: KUSA