Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Religion and the mentally unstable
Religion and the mentally unstable
When I was in church there were a fair number of damaged people.
Damaged emotionally and mentally.

The church made them feel welcome, wanted, useful and forgiven.

Does the church attract more than it's fair proportion of unstable people? And if it does, can it be argued that it is doing a useful thing in giving them a sense of purpose. Even if that purpose is false

(This thread prompted by witnessing the implosion of Terry Burton on the Raytractors blog. I presume you've been following it, Adrian)
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
RE: Religion and the mentally unstable
Yeah, I've been following it with interest. I know a lot of atheists go on and on about how religious people are "deluded" and "mentally deranged", but Terry Burton is actually mentally unstable...

http://raytractors.blogspot.com/
As someone said, it is a case study. It's like watching a car crash.

Many people are feeling sorry for him, but I think he's a nasty piece of work who deserves a kicking. Not very humane of me I realise, but I'm a sucker for a mob.
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
(September 19, 2008 at 9:12 am)StewartP Wrote: When I was in church there were a fair number of damaged people.

Does the church attract more than it's fair proportion of unstable people? And if it does, can it be argued that it is doing a useful thing in giving them a sense of purpose. Even if that purpose is false

(This thread prompted by witnessing the implosion of Terry Burton on the Raytractors blog. I presume you've been following it, Adrian)

An interesting view. One of which I have.Big Grin

I guess religion can be seen as a helping hand (Help you mentally that is).

Is atheism for the happy and open minded? And religion is the place for those who are down and depressed? It's something that might be 75% true and 25% false.

What if the majority of theists looked to religion for hope and a upward look on life. Whilsts the rest, just simply find religion as the one that answers all the questions for which "You want to hear"

I think that the majority go to religion for hope. Whilst the rest seek answers and only answers that "They" want to hear.

I am a very happy and healthy person. I can't say that I would of been a theist if I was the opposite. I've always had a good out look on life and I've been one for accepting my position and situation.

Is religion something for people who can't quiet take on responcibility of their own actions?

Huh

Lots of questions and very little answers!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
There are many reasons why a person turns to religion for their answers rather than science. I think the most obvious is they have been indoctrinated into a particular faith from an early age and the religion, rather like a parasite, has taken root.

From this position it must be very difficult to dismiss everything that you have been taught and know to be true. Especially when all of your questions are answered by you religious friends and family. The tribal instinct makes you want to be like everyone else in your group and even if you have doubts you don't want to make waves and be seen in anyway as some sort of trouble maker, especially if others have doubted before you and you have witnessed the results of their questioning.

Another reason is that humans are pattern seeking beings and can connect all sorts of disparate events and happenings and make conclusions. This is of course good, but the side effect of this is that they can also connect things together and come up with nonsense, which, without an alternative explanation, seems to them to be the truth. This is were the religion virus gains access to its host and spreads like wildfire, rewarding those who agree and shunning those who dismiss.

There is also a clear link between intelligence and education and a propensity towards religious and/or supernatural belief. It has been shown in many studies that the higher a persons I.Q. and level of education, the less likely they will be given to being religious and vice-versa.

Other people of course simply have a wild imagination. Couple that with a keen intellect and you again have a disposition towards some form of religious thinking. Bishop John Shelby Spong comes to mind, who's religious beliefs are so advanced as to be almost unrecognisable to the majority of those who call themselves Christian.

As far as those who have a limited ability to take responsibility for their own actions are concerned, what better position to find yourself in than having an all powerful Father like being watching over you every minute of the day with the promise of eternal paradise and a rather useful 'how to' book to tell you what to do in every part of your life. It allows you to abdicate all responsibility and take a submissive role akin to the lowest member of the pack. Every part of your life is taken care of and you can just lie back and enjoy the ride.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(September 19, 2008 at 9:12 am)StewartP Wrote: When I was in church there were a fair number of damaged people.

Attending Church gives people a sense of comfort and a feeling of hope. They believe someone other than themself (God) can hear their problems.

"I don't practice any certain religion or faith, and we don't attend Church on a regular basis, However, I do believe Religion can be used as a good thing." - Bill Gates - 1996 PBS article.
(November 29, 2008 at 2:08 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: "I don't practice any certain religion or faith, and we don't attend Church on a regular basis, However, I do believe Religion can be used as a good thing." - Bill Gates - 1996 PBS article.
Nice appeal to authority there, because as we all know: If a rich tech guy says it, it must be true!!!
(November 29, 2008 at 2:59 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(November 29, 2008 at 2:08 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: "I don't practice any certain religion or faith, and we don't attend Church on a regular basis, However, I do believe Religion can be used as a good thing." - Bill Gates - 1996 PBS article.
Nice appeal to authority there, because as we all know: If a rich tech guy says it, it must be true!!!
Yes, You will notice I like to throw in some famous quotes every now and then. Tongue

"I cannot foresee the future, but I do know World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Yes I can see how religion can help comfort people mentally. AT LEAST in the short-run.
But isn't it possible that also in some or even many cases, in the long(er) run - it could make them worse?
(November 29, 2008 at 9:24 pm)Psalm 23 Wrote: Yes, You will notice I like to throw in some famous quotes every now and then. Tongue

"I cannot foresee the future, but I do know World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Yes, and please don't do it in future, as it adds nothing to the argument and makes you look like a fool who uses the appeal to authority fallacy to prove a point. If you have a quotation that you think is nice, put it in your signature, not in the actual post.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10697 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19745 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49166 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5175 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused