Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are women still the "modern slaves"?
Are women still the "modern slaves"?
As we all know both Christianity and Islam do not seem to have much respect for women and in fact instruct men to suppress them disregarding their human rights etc. Overall, some women oppose while others seem to be brainwashed into thinking that this is "right", even in modern western countries. Anyway, in the early 1900s women tried to end this parody and alter the laws and social customs accordingly which was not easy as the laws were deeply rooted in customs and regulations coming from religion. My questions is this: how successful was it? A hundred years later, is this matter already resolved, at least where you live?

In Poland I am concerned with this:

1) unlike in the 1800s, women can work but rarely have high income or are able to buy their own flat

2) women are still forced or talked into marriage by their parents and rarely follow their personal choice

3) the very existence of desire or sex drive in women is not commonly aknowledged, especially in the more religious, uneducated communities with women masturbating or women watching adult films being taboo

4) women are forced into submissive relations at their workplace etc.

5) women still do most of the housework

and the one I personally find particularly odd, they

6) use a very slave-like set of phrases and mental structures with a lot of "I should" and "I am supposed to" and very rarely "I want"

Just think about women in 1950s or 1800s. This was not so long ago. Back then a lot of ideas about women that we consider utterly untrue and unjust were considered "natural". I suppose it is still not easy to tell what is natural and what is forced by culture and made to SEEM natural.
RE: Are women still the "modern slaves"?
Though religion is closely linked with this matter, I say it's more of an cultural and educational thing. Here in Finland things are quite alright, I don't see myself as a slave and women are appreciated on the whole. We're a small country, every single voice matters. (This is why we were the first women given the right to vote.)
Personally, I'm the breadwinner in my household, my parents would never dream of talking me into marriage (nothing else for that matter, they know how stubborn their daughter is), no one in my circles questions my sexuality, the pharmacy I work at is owned by a women and all the managers are women, I cook at home because I enjoy it, but my partner does most of the cleaning and I have obligations but know when to ask things for myself.
But yes, out there in the big world there's a lot of things that need to be done in order to reach gender equality. It's frankly scary how some women aren't treated as human beings, but more like possessions.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Are women still the "modern slaves"?
I do feel that sexism is still a problem, one of the big problems in the world with a direct impact on poverty in some places, and various religions are part of the problem (although I'd be careful to blame them for causing the problem). Not sure if the liberation of early 1900s (suffrage etc) is a big part of this as much as you imply - For UK, and other countries I've lived in.

1) unlike in the 1800s, women can work but rarely have high income or are able to buy their own flat
Same for guys. Home ownership is a problem for young couples. No idea of stats but not aware of sexism in this regard.

2) women are still forced or talked into marriage by their parents and rarely follow their personal choice
Not the case, except in minority/immigrant communities.

3) the very existence of desire or sex drive in women is not commonly aknowledged, especially in the more religious, uneducated communities with women masturbating or women watching adult films being taboo
Not the case, although few people of either gender would admit to either masturbating or watching adult movies

4) women are forced into submissive relations at their workplace etc.
Sexism still exists but I wouldn't describe it as submissive, at least in the places I've worked. More a glass ceiling (although this seems to be shifting as a generational thing)

5) women still do most of the housework
Yep. I do wonder whether this is solely sexism, or a genuine gender difference.

6) use a very slave-like set of phrases and mental structures with a lot of "I should" and "I am supposed to" and very rarely "I want"
Don't recognise that
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2008 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 18874 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8332 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1473 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89540 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5603 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27889 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Women as priests Der/die AtheistIn 53 8331 August 4, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Three Christian Women marry Jesus Divinity 21 4343 July 14, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian war on women Fake Messiah 30 4439 April 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy