Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Separation of church and state you say?
Separation of church and state you say?
Repost from reddit, but who gives a shit...

[Image: Q3pNX.jpg]

Oh America Confused Fall
RE: Separation of church and state you say?
(October 9, 2012 at 10:31 am)Napoléon Wrote: Oh America Confused Fall

Look up the 10 American states with the lowest life expectancy, or highest crime rate, or highest poverty rate, or the ten least favorable for seniors to live in, or the ten with lowest rate of collage attendance, and see how many of those 10 are in the list above.

One can only expect where christianity comes closest to achieving its earthly goals, there it would most zealously guard its purgatives.

ROFLOL
(October 9, 2012 at 10:31 am)Napoléon Wrote: Repost from reddit, but who gives a shit...

Oh America Confused Fall

Yea these laws violate the supremacy clause in the federal constitution. But just because it is still illegal for cops to break traffic and parking laws doesn't prevent them from doing it.

But if I remember correctly there was a succesful suit in SC that made that ban moot regarding an application for notary public.

When enough atheists challenge these laws they will fall as they should. There simply is no way around "no religious test".
Yeah, I don't expect these laws will actually prevent atheists from holding public offices. It's more just the principle.

Then again, the UK has equally stupid laws... such as it's illegal to die in parliament, or everyone has to practice archery at a vicar's request.
We still have stupid fucking blue laws even in the county I live in. Please tell me why I cant buy beer before 12 noon on a sunday when ever other day I can? And what would stop me from buing that same beer on Saturday before noon and drink it on sunday before noon?

In many locations it was illegal to sell kitchen appliances on sunday.

Holy fuck, even outside this country in a seemingly moderate Muslim country like Morrocco, even if you are not Muslim you still cant eat during daytime durning Ramadum(yea I spelled it correctly).

How the fuck can you apply laws equally that are based on personal superstitions? You cant!

How about the people who dont drink or don't drink on sunday simply dont do it? How about Muslims simply not eating, during their holy month, and leave others alone?

I promisee, at least in America, most people have no desire from preventing you from getting your rocks off over your pet superstition. But if other people don't subscribe to it, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

If I want to crack a beer open in my house at 10 am on a Sunday morning without attending church, how is that your fucking business, and why should a business who may want to sell me that beer on Sunday before noon, find it any less redicuolus when they don't have to do it on other days?

I do understhand say secular laws like stopping the sale at 1am or not starting to sell until 6. Based on traffic accidence and DUIs the laws may be in place to reflect the high risk times that it is most likely to occure.

You also cannot eat in restorante in the kitchen over clean dishes(but again, health reasons, not superstition).

I wipe my ass with my right hand and eat with my right hand(of course with washing my hands after using the bathroom), But the stupid superstition that you shouldn't touch your back side with the same hand you eat with?

Same with religious food bans. Eating pork or beef or something not "blessed" wont make you sick. What will is if you don't properly wash the food or cook it enough.

It is unfortunate in our evolution for people to buy and sell and pass down to future generations all sorts of stupid claims that have no usefullness or basis in reality.
(October 9, 2012 at 10:31 am)Napoléon Wrote: Repost from reddit, but who gives a shit...

am I the only one who thinks South Carolina looks a bit like Saudi Arabia?
(October 9, 2012 at 11:10 am)Napoléon Wrote: Yeah, I don't expect these laws will actually prevent atheists from holding public offices. It's more just the principle.

Then again, the UK has equally stupid laws... such as it's illegal to die in parliament, or everyone has to practice archery at a vicar's request.

Neither do I expect or find it reasonable to ban religious people from running for office. I am in debates with atheists who think that should be the case, but that is as utopian as North Korea and the theocracy of Iran. You cant in a plurlistic society put a litmus test on holding office EITHER WAY.m It simply is not pragmatic or realistic.

Jefferson's "wall" is not a ban on religion, but a ban on litmus tests that exclude or include on the basis of religion.

I think some atheists miss the point of "No religious test". It is not a ban on religion it is merely saying an oath to a god IS NOT manditory and cannot be required to hold public office. It can only be strictly voluntary.

"Jeffersons wall" is a ban on pecking orders in the form of a ban on monopolies of power.

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" Barbary treaty artocle 11.

Again, not a ban on religion, just saying that freedom of religion is not a a right to a monopoly of power.

I don't think we have to ban Christians from running for office and I think it is stupid and a bit childish to expect that. But the words are their to combat the Christian idea that they have a sense of inttitlement in the form of a pecking order.

I think the more you educate people with the facts of the Constutition that anyone born here no matter their race or religion, while they'd still have to compete for votes, no one can stop them from applying to attempt to make the run for an office. If that person is law abiding and convinces enough people to vote for them, they cannot be prevented from taking that office.

The morons who cry "Christian nation" are confusing a history of being a majority with law itself. No, in this country anyone legally meeting the office requirements who is not a criminal, has as much right to compete even all the way up to president.

We have a few Jews and now two Muslims and even an atheist in our congress BECAUSE of "no religious test". It buggs the fuck out of the right wing nutters that they cant stop non Christians from making the attempt to compete for an office.

Reminding people of their civil rights, not banning the religious from running, but reminding them that they do have choices and our ellected officials don't have to be Christians, that is how we win.

Because the more we do the more those people default to neutrality which is where the founders wanted government to be.
I'm just sad that I live in one of these states... and I was raised in another, fml.
(October 9, 2012 at 11:56 am)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote:

am I the only one who thinks South Carolina looks a bit like Saudi Arabia?

Similar thought processes prevail, too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3153 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1109 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 10487 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1303 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satan and Flying Spaghetti Monster Unite for Church-State Separation AFTT47 2 676 September 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2532 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The communist state of Kerela, India Duty 5 856 December 22, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 254 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Democrats Say Don't Support Independents Except... ReptilianPeon 0 392 October 7, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 8090 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty