Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuevo Laptop
Question 
Nuevo Laptop
Namaste fellow forumers,

I sifted through the relatively insightful laptop brand thread; it was helpful but a smidgen bit off topic for what I require so forgive me for hogging my own space over here.

My budget is £999 ('bout 1000 bucks) and my objective is to complete my dissertation as quickly and as smoothly as possible.

I'd love to enjoy a machine, preferably built for a Windows 7 Pro OS. It's main use will be for programming and multimedia work... would be cool if it didn't shit itself running medium-high level gaming as well, although it is not a main concern right now.

As much as aesthetics make me all tingly downstairs, my primary priorities are performance and reliability. I've included a metaphor of my research so far represented by me (a spider), exploring the Web (a web).

Spider

tl;dr version: What is the best new laptop for under $1000?
RE: Nuevo Laptop

How about a suggestion? A desktop and netbook, if you don't have any. A $200 netbook for the dissert, $600 for the desktop (or upgrades to your current), plus $200 for accessories.

I mobile with a netbook and nook color, but I don't do any computationally intensive tasks. Mostly note taking, web research & email.

I recently left my netbook somewhere while shopping. Netbook, $200 + $300 of other. I'm already >$1300 on replacement + upgrades.

(I wanted the Acer Aspire One, but it sold out, so I got a pink Asus EEE.)

I've got over 30 years experience with computers, 10+ years helping people off and on, and no real familiarity with the latest and greatest; feel free to PM me with anything specific.

Only laptop specific suggestion I can offer is, these threads likely crop up often, and on many forums. If you've only read what folks here have to say, you've likely overlooked a lot of information available.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm)apophenia Wrote:

How about a suggestion? A desktop and netbook, if you don't have any. A $200 netbook for the dissert, $600 for the desktop (or upgrades to your current), plus $200 for accessories.

I mobile with a netbook and nook color, but I don't do any computationally intensive tasks. Mostly note taking, web research & email.

I recently left my netbook somewhere while shopping. Netbook, $200 + $300 of other. I'm already >$1300 on replacement + upgrades.

(I wanted the Acer Aspire One, but it sold out, so I got a pink Asus EEE.)

I've got over 30 years experience with computers, 10+ years helping people off and on, and no real familiarity with the latest and greatest; feel free to PM me with anything specific.

Only laptop specific suggestion I can offer is, these threads likely crop up often, and on many forums. If you've only read what folks here have to say, you've likely overlooked a lot of information available.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I would love to buy a good desktop and then just a decent tablet or something, believe me, but it is pointless as I don't even know what country or job I will be in until after my dissertation and it is not worth the short-term investment.

I do have a laptop at the moment but it is 3 years old, has already been in for repairs and it is still broken in a range of areas which isn't ideal motivation as I start my final year project!

I have researched what I want in detail, and I would like an i7 SSD. I was considering buying an Asus Ultrabook this morning, but the customer reviews of key/touchpad problems and the screen bleeding put me off. Furthermore, some are only hybrid SSD which is a bit of a trade off for the future.

The reason I didn't include this in my post is I realise too many specs can put people off recommendations and I'd like to be open minded about it now I have had second thoughts.

Thanks for your help though!

My uneducated opinion, and that of a fellow forum junkie, is that the Ultras don't really justify themselves in terms of cost, features and performance, and so forth, just to shave a modest amount of weight off. For an extra pound or two, you get a lot, both in dollar range and capability.

If you have a specific need between a tablet and a netbook, I suppose. But otherwise it seems unwise. But then, they were excluded from my matrix early on, so I haven't researched them to be sure.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Acer Aspire 5 a good laptop, and will it last long? JustinBlack 4 448 July 17, 2021 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  New laptop tips John V 21 1903 July 24, 2018 at 7:36 am
Last Post: John V
  I bought a new laptop and... Edwardo Piet 13 1930 September 18, 2017 at 4:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Laptop charging but at 0% Edwardo Piet 21 3942 May 12, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New laptop paulpablo 4 1526 September 30, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  What laptop brands are best? TaraJo 80 34173 June 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: kraljica
  I has 51 inch laptop monitor. Oldandeasilyconfused 18 10839 July 4, 2012 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Jackalope