Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop charging but at 0%
Laptop charging but at 0%
Bought a new battery and charger for my laptop. The charge is at 0%. If I put the charger in my laptop works, if I take it out it dies immediately. However, the problem is it has been several hours and it hasn't even moved to 1% yet. It looks like it is somehow not charging but still supplying enough charge to power the laptop while forever remaining at 0%.

I really wanna get this fixed in case my laptop dies again. I'm fine with having it stay at 0% forever because I never take it anywhere, but this gives me the concern that my laptop is gonna die again.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E4300 and I am running Windows 7 32 bit.

-Hammy
RE: Laptop charging but at 0%
Sounds like the battery is either faulty or doesn't match your model.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Was it definitely new or second-hand? If it's second-hand it may have simply worn its charging capacity totally out. If it's new, try updating your battery drivers, perhaps.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
I found one that matched my model and it looks exactly like the one that came with the laptop.

I see on my laptop battery instructions it said that I should discharge it to 2% and then recharge, but my laptop discharged to 0% and died before I charged it up. Maybe that's the problem?

-Hammy
(May 11, 2016 at 3:14 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Bought a new battery and charger for my laptop. The charge is at 0%. If I put the charger in my laptop works, if I take it out it dies immediately. However, the problem is it has been several hours and it hasn't even moved to 1% yet. It looks like it is somehow not charging but still supplying enough charge to power the laptop while forever remaining at 0%.

I really wanna get this fixed in case my laptop dies again. I'm fine with having it stay at 0% forever because I never take it anywhere, but this gives me the concern that my laptop is gonna die again.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E4300 and I am running Windows 7 32 bit.

-Hammy

My laptop is now a desktop due to this problem.  It is... perhaps 8 years old?  Has been like that (works when plugged in but cannot charge) for at least 3 years now.  Still works fine, just need to make sure the power cord is firmly in.  So, if it's anything like mine, it won't die.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(May 11, 2016 at 3:21 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Was it definitely new or second-hand? If it's second-hand it may have simply worn its charging capacity totally out. If it's new, try updating your battery drivers, perhaps.

Brand new.
(May 11, 2016 at 3:24 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: My laptop is now a desktop due to this problem.  It is... perhaps 8 years old?  Has been like that (works when plugged in but cannot charge) for at least 3 years now.  Still works fine, just need to make sure the power cord is firmly in.  So, if it's anything like mine, it won't die.

Before my laptop charged extremely slowly and would go from 100% to 0% in a few seconds if it was unplugged... this time it literally stays at 0%, that's what I find odd.

So does yours stay at 0% or does it just lose its charge in a few seconds?
(May 11, 2016 at 3:26 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(May 11, 2016 at 3:24 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: My laptop is now a desktop due to this problem.  It is... perhaps 8 years old?  Has been like that (works when plugged in but cannot charge) for at least 3 years now.  Still works fine, just need to make sure the power cord is firmly in.  So, if it's anything like mine, it won't die.

Before my laptop charged extremely slowly and would go from 100% to 0% in a few seconds if it was unplugged... this time it literally stays at 0%, that's what I find odd.

So does yours stay at 0% or does it just lose its charge in a few seconds?

Stays at 0%.  When I pull up the power info it reads "plugged in, not charging."
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Mine is the same but it says "plugged in, charging".
Decrease your intake of potassium nitrate!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Acer Aspire 5 a good laptop, and will it last long? JustinBlack 4 435 July 17, 2021 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  New laptop tips John V 21 1873 July 24, 2018 at 7:36 am
Last Post: John V
  I bought a new laptop and... Edwardo Piet 13 1909 September 18, 2017 at 4:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  New laptop paulpablo 4 1524 September 30, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  What laptop brands are best? TaraJo 80 34104 June 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: kraljica
Question Nuevo Laptop naimless 3 2654 October 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I has 51 inch laptop monitor. Oldandeasilyconfused 18 10805 July 4, 2012 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Jackalope