Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie seeks ammo
Newbie seeks ammo
Hey there! I'm new to this site. I've jumped into the deep end and posted a link on the religion section but thought to introduce myself as well. I was brought up as a christian by my family. I really believed in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit when I was younger. As a child you're more prone to believe I guess...As I grew older I started to ask more questions and also wondering about certain things. There are just too many things that don't add up and I'm now veering towards the atheist side. I hope that some of you can share your thoughts and opinions with me. Here are some:

1: If God was so powerful why doesn't he appear on earth (the way he did back in the good 'ol days)?
2: The Bible was written by man. Why believe in someone elses opinions? (man is corrupt and sinfull by nature remember!)
3: We evolved from apes. Fact. Not from someones rib (not making a lot of sense to me...)
4: I have a lot of Christian friends and I don't know one of them who didn't have sex before marriage (sorry but you all gonna burn in hell!). O but then again the Bible contradicts itself on that one...

These are just a few thoughts. Please give me some more ammo! Cool Shades
RE: Newbie seeks ammo
How about: Where the fuck is the evidence for this "God"? Tongue

And: If, as I've heard Christians do, you can say that 'there had to be a begining', 'something can't come from nothing', 'and we call this God' - then if God can be in the beginning then why on earth can't the universe?! I think it's a lot more believable than a supposedly benevolent (don't see it myself) supernatural sky-daddy... - for a start there's actually evidence that the universe exists!!

EvF
Hi Craveman.

It's worth bearing in mind that we didn't actually evolve from apes, that we are apes!

Welcome to the forum.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
1. If God is so powerful, why doesn't he appear on earth?
Why should he?

2. The Bible was written by man. Why believe in someone else's opinions?
Nearly all the beliefs you have were informed by someone else's opinion.

3. We evolved from apes. Fact. Not from someone's rib.
No one claims we evolved from apes. Nor that we evolved from someone's rib, nor even created from someone's rib. Your scientific and theological illiteracy is intensely worrisome. I think you are not nearly ready enough for "ammo" on these deeper issues, as you scarcely understand elementary issues.

4. I have a lot of Christian friends, and I don't know one of them who didn't have sex before marriage.
I fail to see how this is relevant to anything.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
Quote:1: If God was so powerful why doesn't he appear on earth (the way he did back in the good 'ol days)?

He didn't do it then, either.

2: The Bible was written by man. Why believe in someone elses opinions? (man is corrupt and sinfull by nature remember!)

Because 'god-fearing xtians' would tie you to a stake and set you on fire for not believing in their bullshit. Made for an effective technique as can be seen from the fact that without it they are going right down the crapper.

3: We evolved from apes. Fact. Not from someones rib (not making a lot of sense to me...)

No, not properly stated. Apes and man have a common ancestor way back along the family tree. The rib thing is pure bullshit meant to oppress women which is one thing that all religions have in common.

4: I have a lot of Christian friends and I don't know one of them who didn't have sex before marriage (sorry but you all gonna burn in hell!). O but then again the Bible contradicts itself on that one...

I'm sure they can rationalize it in the same way they can rationalize the Inquisition, Crusades and Witch Hunts. Morality never slows those assholes down.
(August 9, 2009 at 7:06 pm)Arcanus Wrote: 1. If God is so powerful, why doesn't he appear on earth?
Why should he?

Conversely why shouldn't it? Why is it hiding? What value does that confer on humanity or it's mission to subjugate us all?

(August 9, 2009 at 7:06 pm)Arcanus Wrote: 2. The Bible was written by man. Why believe in someone else's opinions?
Nearly all the beliefs you have were informed by someone else's opinion.

Sure but we tend to be able to validate those i.e. the views of other's may be the source but it is up to me whether I agree with them or not, religions tend to be more conservative than that. Not really disagreeing with you though coz I think most people do exactly that.

(August 9, 2009 at 7:06 pm)Arcanus Wrote: 3. We evolved from apes. Fact. Not from someone's rib.
No one claims we evolved from apes. Nor that we evolved from someone's rib, nor even created from someone's rib. Your scientific and theological illiteracy is intensely worrisome. I think you are not nearly ready enough for "ammo" on these deeper issues, as you scarcely understand elementary issues.

Not "evolved from" but your Bible certainly says that Eve, the first woman, was created from Adam's rib:

Genesis 2:20-22, NIV:
But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

Genesis 2:20-22, KJV:
But for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3272 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 827 September 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 911 September 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucian
  Hi from a newbie here TrueNorth 16 1230 August 10, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another newbie:) Agnostic1 7 914 November 18, 2021 at 10:12 am