Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of God would do this.
What kind of God would do this.
This is a difficult video to watch, but it deals with a difficult subject that should not be avoided simply because it is unpleasant. The harsh imagery is necessary in a world long desensitized, and while it may grieve your heart, it's ultimately designed to engage and challenge your mind.

Burn injuries are some of the most horrific and feared injuries. Those who intentionally burn others are monstrous and sadistic to the extreme. This video takes a hard but necessary look at the terrible consequences of burning and the "benevolent, loving and just" parent that demonstrates his love by setting fire to his own children. - The Thinking Athiest
This Video was produced by the Thinking atheist and has shocking images. Viewer discretion is advised.

On a personal note, it gets you thinking, What loving god would create such a place.
Apologists in 3...2....1....
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: What kind of God would do this.
I don't actually find this emotional arguments very compelling. Obviously I don't believe in God, but historically most Gods that have been believed in haven't been considered Omni-benevolent. Since this argument only attacks the concept of an all good god, it's weak.
Your little vid there is a weak attempt at irritating your fellow atheist and trying to call out the Christians who believe in a firey hell. The scriptures never say that hell fire is destructive, scriptures never say God is omnibenevolent I do not even know where you get that. God says He desires that none should be lost, ie. go to hell. Since that is His desire there is only one thing left, it's a choice and it can't be God's because He says His desire is for no one to be lost, that means it's your choice and no one else, tell me why would you choose something outside of God's desire? To me when an atheist dwells on the fire of hell means one of two things, he/she is scared it's true or you're just stupid for wasting your time on something you do not believes exist.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Any philosophy that is centred around subservience is just inherently bad.
(November 8, 2012 at 1:17 am)Godschild Wrote: Your little vid there is a weak attempt at irritating your fellow atheist and trying to call out the Christians who believe in a firey hell. The scriptures never say that hell fire is destructive, scriptures never say God is omnibenevolent I do not even know where you get that. God says He desires that none should be lost, ie. go to hell. Since that is His desire there is only one thing left, it's a choice and it can't be God's because He says His desire is for no one to be lost, that means it's your choice and no one else, tell me why would you choose something outside of God's desire? To me when an atheist dwells on the fire of hell means one of two things, he/she is scared it's true or you're just stupid for wasting your time on something you do not believes exist.

I'm so tired of this line of bullshit. The theological idea of 'free will' only came about because of the biggest flaw in your god. Your god is not all powerful. Your god is fuck all incabable of creating obedient humans.

'Free will' is a concept brought up by the rabbinical jews long before your christ was supposed to have existed. The stories were cute until thinking humans started juxtapositioning human accountability with god's omniscience. It's a paradox. From where then comes evil? The theological concept of 'free will' was the answer.

Some asshat in another thread desired to make the 'problem of evil' a unique thread, as if christianity was something more than an excuse for god's inability to create obedient humans.
Once again, G-C we find that you know jack shit about your own holy horseshit.

Quote:The acknowledgement of God's omnibenevolence is an essential foundation in traditional Christianity; this can be seen in Scriptures such as Psalms 18:30: "As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him," and Ps.19:7: "The law of the Lord is good, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple."

Although, it is pretty apparent that "god" fucked up the 'making wise the simple' in your case.
(November 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't actually find this emotional arguments very compelling. Obviously I don't believe in God, but historically most Gods that have been believed in haven't been considered Omni-benevolent. Since this argument only attacks the concept of an all good god, it's weak.

Actually his argument is stronger than you think. If they relinquish 'all good', then opposition is not just right, but is a necessity. Your stance works when there are many gods because they can oppose each other, but a single god without opposition if it is not 'all good' is a tyrant.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  REVENGE!!! kind of off topic but gd3001 31 2674 July 25, 2021 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78698 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4049 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Would God be an atheist? Martian Mermaid 41 6843 November 16, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2566 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11622 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4637 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Some kind words from the usual place FebruaryOfReason 6 1513 March 3, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  What proof would it take for me to believe in god? Lemonvariable72 37 8112 October 17, 2015 at 10:46 am
Last Post: IATIA
  What Would the World b Like if You were God Rhondazvous 45 8570 August 23, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: ForsakenHeretic