Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Do to really believe a snake talked?!
Question 
Do to really believe a snake talked?!
I am an atheist. My perception of reality may not be anything like yours, but hear me out. I have known many theists that have expressed to me that they believe in their god because it "makes sense where nothing else does." I will offer "sense" to anyone who says such a thing. This thread is intended as help for those people balancing beliefs, not as an assault on "God."
So lets just talk about things that make sense. The universe is the largest known "thing." Undeniably the greatest thing known by humans. As we humans are made of the same dust that makes up the universe, we are part of it. We are, therefore, the greatest thing we know of. Without our brains in existence, the universe ( at least at this address in space ) would not "know" itself. This understanding gives us a sense of profound importance and encourages us to expand and be bountiful without ever mentioning the "G" word.
So you say "what then caused the universe?" Well, you cannot have only "nothing." Also, you cannot have only "something." Therefore, you can deduce that to have nothing you must also have something. Without "something", the term "nothing" makes no sense and vice versa. So there has always been a combo of both stuff and no stuff. We can see this as the vast majority of the universe contains nothing(empty space).
So imagine all the black holes in the universe over the course of time swallow all their neighbors, then each other one by one until you have one black hole containing the entire universe minus one spec of dust. This black hole is unstable and near its threshold of being to weak(even gravitationally) to hold together matter of this magnitude. So suddenly, boom, Big Bang. The process then begins all over again.
Again, this theory is to help you people realize that there are ways to explain the universe at large without ever needing "divine guidance." You are a human brain, equal in importance to the cosmos itself. Do not delude and humble yourself with iron-age fairy tales.
RE: Do to really believe a snake talked?!
How could anyone so brainless as to believe Jesus rose from the dead have enough wits to doubt a talking snake?
(November 8, 2012 at 12:26 am)SpecUVdust Wrote: I am an atheist. My perception of reality may not be anything like yours, but hear me out. I have known many theists that have expressed to me that they believe in their god because it "makes sense where nothing else does." I will offer "sense" to anyone who says such a thing. This thread is intended as help for those people balancing beliefs, not as an assault on "God."
So lets just talk about things that make sense. The universe is the largest known "thing." Undeniably the greatest thing known by humans. As we humans are made of the same dust that makes up the universe, we are part of it. We are, therefore, the greatest thing we know of. Without our brains in existence, the universe ( at least at this address in space ) would not "know" itself. This understanding gives us a sense of profound importance and encourages us to expand and be bountiful without ever mentioning the "G" word.
So you say "what then caused the universe?" Well, you cannot have only "nothing." Also, you cannot have only "something." Therefore, you can deduce that to have nothing you must also have something. Without "something", the term "nothing" makes no sense and vice versa. So there has always been a combo of both stuff and no stuff. We can see this as the vast majority of the universe contains nothing(empty space).
So imagine all the black holes in the universe over the course of time swallow all their neighbors, then each other one by one until you have one black hole containing the entire universe minus one spec of dust. This black hole is unstable and near its threshold of being to weak(even gravitationally) to hold together matter of this magnitude. So suddenly, boom, Big Bang. The process then begins all over again.
Again, this theory is to help you people realize that there are ways to explain the universe at large without ever needing "divine guidance." You are a human brain, equal in importance to the cosmos itself. Do not delude and humble yourself with iron-age fairy tales.

First of all the universe is expanding, so the black holes will not all meet, unless there is divine guidance to make it happen. What happened to the talking snake.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:they believe in their god because it "makes sense where nothing else does."

They need to find a better working definition of the word "sense."
Your response was merely theoretical, not a statement of fact. Nobody can say what would happen over countless billions of years. What I am addressing is the lack of a need for a god. You could not really explain how god alone always existed or came to be at all. On the other hand I have provided a much more sensible explanation which was just thrown out by my brain.
(November 8, 2012 at 1:04 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:they believe in their god because it "makes sense where nothing else does."

They need to find a better working definition of the word "sense."

The prefix 'non' will work fine.
Godchild-
So... You believe a snake talked.
(November 8, 2012 at 1:19 am)SpecUVdust Wrote: Godchild-
So... You believe a snake talked.

You must be new here. Big Grin
The desire to be connected with the cosmos reflects a profound reality. We are connected, not in the trivial ways that astrology teaches, but in the biggest ways- Carl Sagan

Don't you see? We owe it to the universe to learn about it as much as we can. I like the dude as much as the next guy, but we should not just take it easy. Find pleasure in watching nature take it easy.
(November 8, 2012 at 1:42 am)SpecUVdust Wrote: The desire to be connected with the cosmos reflects a profound reality. We are connected, not in the trivial ways that astrology teaches, but in the biggest ways- Carl Sagan

Don't you see? We owe it to the universe to learn about it as much as we can. I like the dude as much as the next guy, but we should not just take it easy. Find pleasure in watching nature take it easy.

Am I hearing you right? The universe is 13.7B years old. I will live 90 years if I'm lucky. You proclaim that I owe the universe?

I learn by taking it easy while observing nature. Guilty pleasure.

Food in, poop out. As far as I'm concerned this pays my debt to nature.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7841 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theology of Atheism: Do the clergy/theologians really believe? SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 6 2659 September 21, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8451 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Video I Talked to Allah Mental Outlaw 18 3978 March 11, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Do they really believe it? FreeTony 5 1376 February 14, 2014 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  do religious people really believe? paulpablo 67 20445 March 4, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Snake handler dies at 44 Jackalope 20 9099 June 5, 2012 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Whateverist