Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
do religious people really believe?
do religious people really believe?
theres something weird about the way religious people act, considering they believe without a shadow of a doubt theres a heaven and hell.
What got me thinking about this is i saw a youtube video of a ten year old girl with cancer reciting the quran, and all the comments on the video were things like "im crying so much right now"
the video itself was of a man crying while listening to the girl recite the quran.
Why would everyone be so upset? surely the girl is lucky in comparison to say me, i have to live another few years on earth followed by what will probably be eternal punishment from allah for disbelieving while this girl will be living in paradise.
Surely from a muslim point of view the best thing that can happen is if young muslim children get killed suddenly in large numbers, they will die innocent and get to spend even more time in paradise.
And also shouldnt muslims feel much more sorrow for christians, they commit shirk and therefore are guaranteed an eternity in hell even after all thier church building and praying, surely muslims should be really feeling sorry for christians more so than a 10 year old muslim girl who is soon to die of cancer.
This doesnt just apply to islam but christianity, why arent more christians giving away the marority of their money if its so difficult for a rich man to get into heaven? why all the sex before marriage?
basically i just find it difficult to believe these people believe in heaven or hell they dont act like they do in the slightest.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: do religious people really believe?
I think some of them really believe to a point. They're the ones who let their kids die by praying rather than take them to the doctor. However, most of them are terrified of death and a lot of other things they shouldn't be afraid of, given what they claim to believe in.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
I fear death less as an athiest. Oddly enough when I was a believer I constantly obsessed about my family's well being to the point I had very bad anxiety there for a bit. Especially if they weren't "saved" in Christ. Now I just try my best to enjoy them when I have them, and don't worry atall what happens to them when they're gone.

I was also a dumbass and denied medical treatment with chemotherapy because I was advised that I was "impeding god" from healing me. Then, when I stopped impeding and almost died: turns out me being sick is just god's will and is probably saving me from a worser fate. Now I'm back on medicine and doing quite nicelyWink
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(February 24, 2013 at 4:44 am)paulpablo Wrote: theres something weird about the way religious people act, considering they believe without a shadow of a doubt theres a heaven and hell.
Oops fail

(February 24, 2013 at 4:44 am)paulpablo Wrote: basically i just find it difficult to believe these people believe in heaven or hell they dont act like they do in the slightest.
Have you heard the bit: if you had faith the size of a mustard seed you could move a mountain?

Most people can't trust enough or they would.
(February 24, 2013 at 6:57 am)fr0d0 Wrote: [quote='paulpablo' pid='405537' dateline='1361695488']
theres something weird about the way religious people act, considering they believe without a shadow of a doubt theres a heaven and hell.

Oops fail

Have you heard the bit: if you had faith the size of a mustard seed you could move a mountain?

Most people can't trust enough or they would.

Two things here, First: Are you saying you do have a shadow of a doubt in the existance of god?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(February 24, 2013 at 6:48 am)missluckie26 Wrote: I was also a dumbass and denied medical treatment with chemotherapy because I was advised that I was "impeding god" from healing me. Then, when I stopped impeding and almost died: turns out me being sick is just god's will and is probably saving me from a worser fate. Now I'm back on medicine and doing quite nicelyWink

This has actually always weirded me out, when I hear about people denying medical treatment because god will save them. I wonder if those people ever actually read the holy texts they rely so heavily on; god works through human agents all the time, in those things. Why would he not work through a doctor?

Hell, a doctor- an actual educated and trained professional- would be a much more impressive instrument for divinity than the snake oil salesmen that claim divine inspiration nowadays, and the uneducated goat herders who he's canonically worked through.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 24, 2013 at 9:20 am)missluckie26 Wrote: Two things here, First: Are you saying you do have a shadow of a doubt in the existance of god?
Of course. Without doubt I wouldn't need faith. And no. 2? (If you can tear yourself away from dominating Esq for a moment! Wink)
(February 24, 2013 at 10:14 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Without doubt I wouldn't need faith. And no. 2? (If you can tear yourself away from dominating Esq for a moment! Wink)

Oh, the things I could tell you... Big Grin
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Quote:Have you heard the bit: if you had faith the size of a mustard seed you could move a mountain?

Yes, I have Frods.

It's fucking bullshit.
Frodo you do know that faith is confidence in something and doubt is not having confidence in something, so youre basically saying "i dont have confidence in my religion so its a good job i have confidence in it." or "without lack of confidence in my religion i wouldnt need confidence in my religion"

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1072 74732 April 17, 2024 at 1:13 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11446 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 650 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7018 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3775 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4944 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3757 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 12898 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7847 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10205 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished