Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do they really believe it?
Do they really believe it?
This is really aimed at ex Christians (or ex any other religion). When you defined yourself as a Christian, did you actually believe God existed? And is this belief different to say belief in something that is easy to see existing, say the house you live in?

I find this fascinating. I've never really had belief except when I was 5-6 years old and taught it at school (you don't really realise at that age that an adult could teach you something that wasn't fact) but was an Atheist by the time I was maybe 9 years old.

I think the closest personal experience of this would be believing in Santa. I was told if I didn't believe I wouldn't get presents. This didn't actually affect my disbelief in Santa. At first I would just sort of apply cognitive dissonance and try not to think about it, and later just I would lie and tell my parents I did believe. I don't have to do that with my house.
RE: Do they really believe it?
I wonder how many young parents have their own doubts but do their best to prevent their kids from having them. A rather vicious cycle.
Yes but then there is something called an open mind.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(February 13, 2014 at 6:07 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: Yes but then there is something called an open mind.
I've never heard anyone use "open minded" without spewing nonsense. Resorting to this is a sign of desperation.

If I want someone to believe something I provide them with evidence. You however criticise them as "not open minded" for not believing, despite having not provided any good evidence.
(February 13, 2014 at 10:50 am)FreeTony Wrote: This is really aimed at ex Christians (or ex any other religion). When you defined yourself as a Christian, did you actually believe God existed? And is this belief different to say belief in something that is easy to see existing, say the house you live in?

I find this fascinating. I've never really had belief except when I was 5-6 years old and taught it at school (you don't really realise at that age that an adult could teach you something that wasn't fact) but was an Atheist by the time I was maybe 9 years old.

I think the closest personal experience of this would be believing in Santa. I was told if I didn't believe I wouldn't get presents. This didn't actually affect my disbelief in Santa. At first I would just sort of apply cognitive dissonance and try not to think about it, and later just I would lie and tell my parents I did believe. I don't have to do that with my house.
I think that I consciously believed that there was a man in the sky. Instinctually, however, I knew otherwise.
(February 13, 2014 at 6:07 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: Yes but then there is something called an open mind.

If your mind is so open that you will accept and willingly promulgate an idea that you freely admit can have no evidence for it, then your brain has fallen out.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did they really find Noah's Ark? Jasper 19 1564 May 25, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1398 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7838 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theology of Atheism: Do the clergy/theologians really believe? SenpaiNoticeMeYouBlindShmuck 6 2659 September 21, 2016 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Aractus
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8450 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  do religious people really believe? paulpablo 67 20442 March 4, 2013 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Esquilax
Question Do to really believe a snake talked?! SpecUVdust 126 38040 November 12, 2012 at 9:17 am
Last Post: John V