Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.

Atheist friends, should you elect a God and sacrifice to him or her?

By doing so, you would be acknowledging that mankind is the greatest force in the universe by symbolically taking the name of Human God and insuring that there is always a church that preaches the truth of what is known as a certainty of the supernatural God. That he probably does not exist and is a man-made mythical ideal perpetuated by the Noble Lie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T64_El2s7FU

If you believe what the research indicates in terms of hive behavior, then you might wonder as I do if it would not be in the best interest of the atheist movement to elect an atheist God and sacrifice to him or her?

This, if the research is true, would insure the longevity and cohesion of the atheist movement and give it power.

You may have some suggestion for the title that you would put on your leader and church. I do not except for my choice in the title above. Not being a full atheist, I would not have a vote on it; even as I support atheists and non-supernatural spirituality in people over supernatural religious notions and beliefs. I would also suggest a mantra for this church; that being, --- Faith without Facts is for Fools.

I believe in a strongly assertive type of atheism that preaches that truth is the highest principle. This preaching should be done with eloquence and good form and language; recognizing the trap of logical fallacies and the impossibility of atheists proving that there is no creator God; as well as the impossibility of believers to prove that there is a creator God.

Unfortunately I cannot call myself an atheist anymore because of having suffered an apotheosis. As an esoteric ecumenist and Gnostic Christian, you will know that I think that creating an atheist church should be the next evolutionary step for the atheist movement. I believe the research shown above to be true and fear that without a church, atheism will not be affective and perhaps die out without it.

Creating an atheist church would be the ideal for both religionists and atheists. It would insure that atheists are always here to correct the imaginary thinking of those who believe in a mythical supernatural God. This would be a benevolent and altruistic expression of atheist’s social conscience and desire to bring all people to sane thinking. This atheist church would recognize the human attribute shown in the following clip and gently try to help those adults whose thinking is hampered by it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm971ltF4...re=related

Atheists seem to already want to do more for society towards this end as they seem to be over-represented in religious forums even as statistics say that the atheist in the U. S. and Canada are only at about 5% of the population. This is a sacrifice for atheists that already adds some cohesion and longevity to the organization and appeases the hive nature that we seem to have. But I do not think it is enough based on the research shown above.

Should atheist elect themselves a Pope or God or someone with some other title and do whatever sacrifice is demanded of them to keep the movement alive for the long run?

Regards
DL
RE: Atheist Church of the evolving Human God.
No.
Atheism is not a faith/religion/church, it's a statement regarding one's position on theism.
All of the activities/properties which you've assigned to the 'atheist church' in your post could be achieved by entirely secular means; no church needed.
Also, why would anyone need to sacrifice anything to anything? Ever?

...or have I fallen for a troll?
Sum ergo sum
GIA is a bit of a strange duck but he has been around for a while.

GIA, if atheists "elect" a god ( marginally better than the invented gods of history) they become "theists." Not a very useful solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHc-yMcfAY4

Regards
DL
I tend to be a contrarian.
When everyone at school was a mod I was a rocker.

(will americans understand what a "mod" is I wonder?)

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

This American does. :3
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Did the make it accross the pond then? or is it just something you've picked up along the way?

I think it shows up in today's high fashion a little bit, but it's mostly something I picked up while watching one of my guilty pleasure shows, America's Next Top Model.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Didnt watch Quadrophenia then.

Quote:Quadrophenia (1979) More at IMDbPro »

London, 1965: Like many other youths, Jimmy hates the philistine life, especially his parents and his job in a company's mailing division. Only when he's together with his friends, a 'Mod' clique, cruises London on his motor-scooter and hears music such as that of 'The Who' and 'The High Numbers', he feels free and accepted. However, it's a flight into an illusionary world.

Director Franc Roddam has brought us an array of young British acting talents who bring back London's nineteen-sixties Mods and Rockers. Set against the soundtrack of The Who's 1973 mighty concept album "Quadrophenia", Phil Daniels plays working-class Jimmy, the drug-induced Mod, who hates his job and is misunderstood by his parents. But by night, he comes alive, with the all-nighters, his pills and his scooter-riding friends. Always on a high, life can't get any better. Then there's the Brighton scooter run, where both Mods and Rockers converge, ending in the battle of the cults on Brighton Beach. What goes up must come down, and with Jimmy's come-down, his life is turned around, and so begins his downward spiral into paranoia and isolation, and the four-faceted mindset: Quadrophenia. With its extremely realistic language, violent overtones and classic sixties soundtrack, this illness is bound to be contagious. Come along for the ride

(November 9, 2012 at 10:50 am)Ben Davis Wrote: No.
Atheism is not a faith/religion/church, it's a statement regarding one's position on theism.
All of the activities/properties which you've assigned to the 'atheist church' in your post could be achieved by entirely secular means; no church needed.
Also, why would anyone need to sacrifice anything to anything? Ever?

...or have I fallen for a troll?

I see that you have not quite understood what Mr. Haigt is speaking of.

In a nutshell, he is saying that if the atheist movement does not organize and give that organized body sanctity through sacrifice of some kind, it will not last long and die out.

You have escaped the fantasy world sold by religions and I congratulate you for that but you have forgotten your social conscience and duty to your children and grandchildren.

It is the sacrifice that somehow activates the longevity. I think it may be somehow tied with respect and willingness to perpetuate the sanctity of the movement. We seem to not put much value in what we do not pay for. Something like if you have to work hard to woe a conquest or having one fall into your lap in a happenstance way. They are both good but the one you sacrificed the time and effort to was much more rewarding. Remember?

The thing is though that if your type of guy and your group dies out in the time frame shown, you leave your children and grandchildren at the mercy of a stronger right wing. Do you want them to be able to do as they please with them?

Do you have girls ------

http://www.funnyordie.com...-******

or boys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5YrB7TpT1Y

Regards
DL

(November 9, 2012 at 11:21 am)Minimalist Wrote: GIA is a bit of a strange duck but he has been around for a while.

GIA, if atheists "elect" a god ( marginally better than the invented gods of history) they become "theists." Not a very useful solution.

God in the sense we use that word now.

You know I do not mean that kind of God and I deal with that in the O P.

I just mean leader or figurehead.

The organization is what is important as that is what lasts for the upcoming generations. Please read my reply just above.

Regards
DL

(November 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: I tend to be a contrarian.
When everyone at school was a mod I was a rocker.

(will americans understand what a "mod" is I wonder?)

Congatulations on that but this is not about you.

It is about those who come after you that you care about.
Please read the post above.

For the evils of religion to grow, all good people need do is nothing.

Regards
DL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6638 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I went to an atheist "church" Tea Earl Grey Hot 26 2743 March 15, 2017 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  ATHEIST CHURCH? Athene 22 4677 August 3, 2015 at 3:07 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Atheist 'church'? Napoléon 63 16663 January 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Atheist "Church" TheBeardedDude 13 3963 November 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Trino34
Tongue An Atheist Church in London Nobody 2 1678 March 4, 2013 at 3:55 am
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Atheist "church" in London. downbeatplumb 75 20606 February 13, 2013 at 4:41 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  1 in 5 atheist scientists go to church Faith No More 10 3481 December 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist