Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 in 5 atheist scientists go to church
1 in 5 atheist scientists go to church
I was wondering what anyone thought of this.

Quote:A recently published study found that nearly one in five scientists who consider themselves atheists nevertheless bring their children to a church service one or more times a year.

Printed in the December edition of the Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, the survey had a sample of 275 university-level faculty members.

“Our research shows just how tightly linked religion and family are in U.S. society,” said Dr. Elaine Howard Ecklund of Rice University, lead investigator for the study, in a statement.

"[S]o much so that even some of society's least religious people find religion to be important in their private lives.”

I think it shows just how powerful the church community is and that is probably a very large factor as to why so many people go.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
RE: 1 in 5 atheist scientists go to church
People like a sense of community - I continued to go to synagogue for that reason. I haven't felt the urge, literally, since I joined here. Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I understand that, but I was thinking that many people go for that community and not for the religion per se.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
i used to go to church at christmas when i was a kid, despit both parents being atheist, i live in a village and its nice to see most at a gathering, the fact that its at a church is irrelevant, its about community.
Well, I was trying to bring up a point but I didn't explain too well. To explain, I ask you this, are the majority of Christians going only for the community and not so much for the religion itself? Is the church using community as a tool to keep people in, therefore raising the odds that they can get more people to drink the kook-aid?

Edit: I posted this whole thread on ambien.
(December 7, 2011 at 8:32 am)Faith No More Wrote: I think it shows just how powerful the church community is and that is probably a very large factor as to why so many people go.

I think it shows that 1 in 5 atheist scientist is married to a religious person. meh.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I think you have a great point (even while on Ambien). Many people do attend church just to congregate with their community. I still say that the majority do believe in all that they hear while at church. Now, is the church holding events simply to convince people to drink the kool-aid? Maybe. The more events they can have, the more they keep those people sheltered from outside influences. I never really thought of it that way... but it could definitely make sense.

Basically, let's shelter them from other ideas that may exist (atheism, etc...). Also, since the community is such a strong influence and they are so involved, they create bonds with those people. This bond would further prevent them from ever questioning their religion. It all goes hand in hand. ETA: As in, I really like John and his family. He seems like a good guy and he believes in this religion stuff so why would I ever question that?
(December 7, 2011 at 10:53 am)Cinjin Wrote:
(December 7, 2011 at 8:32 am)Faith No More Wrote: I think it shows just how powerful the church community is and that is probably a very large factor as to why so many people go.

I think it shows that 1 in 5 atheist scientist is married to a religious person. meh.

More i think of it, the more i realise that is almost always going to be the reason why.

Good shot Cin
I've sometimes thought it would be a good thing to develop humanist institutions that can deliver on that same sense of community without requiring people to believe mythology.
I have an alternate interpretation of this data (if true). It says once or more a year, so that simply means they are probably going to church with their family because the family is still religious, and they have to because it's a holiday like Christmas or Easter.
(December 7, 2011 at 10:53 am)Cinjin Wrote: I think it shows that 1 in 5 atheist scientist is married to a religious person. meh.
Yep, that was my first though; that they have to go because someone in their family is religious. I was thinking it means they married a liberal Christian that only makes them go on holidays. Either that or somebody else in their family, as most people have some religious family members.

They also should of asked them if they did it because they wanted to or are obligated to. This is just another meaningless study that also suffers from way-too-f***ing-small-of-a-sample-size syndrome. It had 275 people? That is seriously not enough.
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2618 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  I went to an atheist "church" Tea Earl Grey Hot 26 2739 March 15, 2017 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5188 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  "All Scientists Should Be Militant Atheists" SmootherPebble 66 15552 September 20, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: robvalue
  ATHEIST CHURCH? Athene 22 4676 August 3, 2015 at 3:07 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Are we scientists? JesusLover1 87 9476 March 6, 2014 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Atheist 'church'? Napoléon 63 16653 January 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Atheist "Church" TheBeardedDude 13 3963 November 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Trino34
Tongue An Atheist Church in London Nobody 2 1678 March 4, 2013 at 3:55 am
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Atheist "church" in London. downbeatplumb 75 20546 February 13, 2013 at 4:41 am
Last Post: Confused Ape