Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will The Republicans Double Down on a Losing Strategy?
Will The Republicans Double Down on a Losing Strategy?
Yes, according to Time Magazine.

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/07/why...-strategy/

Quote:As centrists have abandoned the GOP, the power of the base has gotten even stronger inside the party, further reducing the allure of centrist policies, which has further alienated centrists. It’s a closed feedback loop, and GOP veterans do not expect Tuesday’s disappointing but not catastrophic losses to break it before the next election cycle. The party’s voters and funders are not looking for compromise, so its leaders are likely to double down on fossil-fueled, Wall Street–friendly obstructionism. Ryan, a devout supply-sider who is also more socially conservative than Romney, is likely to emerge as an even more central player in Congress and in the offstage struggle to lead the party; Rubio and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal have similar ideological profiles and ambitions. New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who had won fans with his aggressive liberal-bashing despite some policy moderation, infuriated many in the party with his enthusiastic praise of Obama after Hurricane Sandy.

Of course, 2016 is ages from now. While there will surely be some intraparty sniping during the next few months, for now, Republicans seem likely to stick with their playbook and cater to their base. Even as that base gets older, angrier and less representative of America.
RE: Will The Republicans Double Down on a Losing Strategy?
How fucked up is it that Republicans will bash a guy for thanking the man who was saving the city?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
The GOP has become like the charismatic preacher who has been a con artist so long he actually believes in his own magic and can't understand why it's not working.

The GOP needs to face reality but can't because it's been living in an alternate reality for so long. The situation for them will get worse, not better, since their crazy base is going to start dying off.

I don't like this situation, as we have serious problems to address.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
And, honestly, I've been getting the feeling that the Republican Party is going to be headed in this direction for years. Either they'll turn into an out and out fascist party by 2020, or they'll be headed towards oblivion by then.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
2016 might be a long way away, but 2014 midterms are coming up soon. I can quite easily see them losing more power then.

The party has had a really bad habit of ignoring evidence when it contradicts what they want to believe. Usually they can get away with it, but when they ignore the polls, they aways get hurt for that. Sadly, they haven't had a history of responding to these ass-kickings by becoming more moderate. I honestly think they'll blame Romney's centrism on them losing the election and the response will be to nominate a far-right whack-job like Santorum in 2016.

Also worth noting, they've already found at least one scapegoat: Chris Cristie.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/11...-fo/191296
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Quote:I can quite easily see them losing more power then.

Ah....but there is the problem. The electorate in mid-term elections is different from presidential elections. People will stand in line for hours to vote for president but not for a congressman. It is almost guaranteed that the party in power loses seats in the mid-term because the opposition's supporters vote in larger numbers.

The real question is, will we see the same kind of tea-bagging assholes being nominated for congress by the GOP or will they look for less strident voices? I am never an optimist. When all you have is a pool of total assholes to draw from the odds are you are going to select a total asshole.
Once they get done playing the deflect the blame game(i.e. it's all of those brown people's fault), I believe they absolutely will double down on their conservatism. When you scare off the moderates of your party, as they have done, you're going to be left with only the lunatic fringe. If I was an optimist, I would say that this election was the begining of the end of the Republican party unless it changes its ways, but I am no such thing.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
And they're certainly doing their best to purge themselves of their libertarian wing.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Pft. Libertarian wing. As if the Tea Party was actually libertarian...
Didn't say that.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden Losing It onlinebiker 287 17983 November 7, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 1999 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Cheney challenger admits to statutory rape: Republicans don't care Rev. Rye 39 2166 May 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3306 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1295 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
  Question About Republicans DeistPaladin 13 1314 September 22, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump’s evangelical adviser to Jim Bakker: ‘It’s not Republicans vs Dems — it’s God v Secular Elf 6 834 March 4, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  I'm Getting Real Down On Elizabeth Warren AFTT47 17 1673 November 3, 2019 at 8:11 am
Last Post: TaraJo
Big Grin Democrats VS Republicans I believe in Harry Potter 17 2020 October 28, 2019 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Biden isn't going down GrandizerII 82 4612 August 16, 2019 at 3:33 am
Last Post: ReptilianPeon