Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about one of my most disliked expressions.
A question about one of my most disliked expressions.
I have observed that bigoted people often say things like "I've got nothing against[...X group of people]".( But of course that could be said by non-bigots (to think otherwise would be bigoted towards anyone who says that)).

And then there is also another thing, sometimes when you don't personally have a similiar taste or opinion or lifestyle as someone else, when you say that you personally don't share what they share and you express that by saying something like "I don't like X" (X being for example, a particular genre of music, or fashion or lifestyle or whatever) this is misinterpreted by some people to mean that it means that you are saying "X is objectively bad, anyone who likes X is an idiot" as if it's not simply that you don't personally share that lifestyle/preference, but that you are also criticizing anyone who shares it. But it of course doesn't have the same meaning.

So, if you then want to go on to explain that you don't objectively hate such and such you simply don't share that preference/lifestyle, what is an informal way of stating that in a way that doesn't seem pretentious and like a smart ass to someone who would think that "I don't like X" means "I hate people who like X" - without it being "I have nothing against X group of people"... which is the sort of expression often used by bigots which understandably sounds bigoted because it should be obvious that you don't hate X group of people so it shouldn't need stating...

But in these cases when it actually does require explaining, what is the best way to explain it?
RE: A question about one of my most disliked expressions.
I'm not fond of X, but whatever floats someone's boat.
Yes, I like the meaning of "whatever floats your boat" but for some irrational reason I don't enjoy the metaphor. Perhaps because it is dated and overused. I'd rather not be someone who instead of saying "I don't like X" always says "whatever floats your boat", because I'd simply overuse the metaphor. I would like a clear and direct literal version of the meaning rather than a metaphorical one.

I would rather like variations of the metaphor though... although I'm not sure that they'd be understood? Maybe I should create a new thread for some.

Anyway, as for the "I'm not fond of X" part... I can still imagine some people reacting in the same way: Thinking that that means I'm against X.

I guess the problem is that they may be misinterpreting a true statement as an understatement. They may for example translate "I am not fond of X" as just a polite understatement of something like "You're an idiot to like X" when actually what is meant really is what is explicitly said.
How about "I recognize their talent, but their music just isn't the style of music that I enjoy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Eliminate all doubt.

Say "Fuck X."
Do you like X?

Rather than explaining how much you hate x because:
a) it sounds like noise,
b) it's a blob that you yourself could make, so it's therefore not real art,
c) it's twilight fan fiction with the names changed,

Could we just turn it around and make it positive?
Nah, I'm much more into Z, I find it so ( ). [without harping on]
Nemo me impune lacessit.
Quote:Anyway, as for the "I'm not fond of X" part... I can still imagine some people reacting in the same way. They may for example translate "I am not fond of X" as just a polite understatement of something like "You're an idiot to like X" when actually what is meant really is what is explicitly said.

I think you worry a little too much. Most people aren't going to react in a bad way if you simply say "I'm not fond of X". I for one would never think that.
(November 10, 2012 at 6:09 pm)festive1 Wrote: I'm not fond of X, but whatever floats someone's boat.

Or this...

[Image: whatever_floats_your_goat.jpg]
(November 10, 2012 at 10:42 pm)Kirbmarc Wrote: I think you worry a little too much. Most people aren't going to react in a bad way if you simply say "I'm not fond of X". I for one would never think that.

Often I think that most people don't react that way too. But then I do question that when so many people seem to get annoyed whenever you don't share the same interest as them.

Although it tends to only happen when it's something that they love to the point of intense passion or even obsession.

With a lot of obsessive fans saying that you don't like what they like can piss them off. Of course many people are mature enough in that regard to realize that that's nothing to get all "offended" about. But I do think that many aren't too.
(November 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: I have observed that bigoted people often say things like "I've got nothing against[...X group of people]".( But of course that could be said by non-bigots (to think otherwise would be bigoted towards anyone who says that)).

The worst are the kind of people who think that they look likable, when they say:

Quote:"I have friends who are "some political or social afilliation" but......"

Everytime I hear that line, first off: I know the talking person is lying. Second: I know that the line following the "but.....", will contain something completly bigoted and repulsive.

If such a person would actualy not be lying, it would make things eaven worse. Who would want to have a "friend" or actualy has a "friend" who accuses you of the worst kind of things.

I guess you all know this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pU1UD7UzEY

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 458 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  photos that prove Afghanistan is one the most beautiful places on earth. WinterHold 71 9829 September 6, 2021 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Curious how one gets the "jerkoff" emoticon next to one's name Foxaèr 29 5246 April 17, 2018 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  GS Warriors one win away from setting new NBA record for most wins to start a season Whateverist 29 4497 December 13, 2015 at 4:29 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  One question I don't see asked enough. Brian37 15 2527 February 19, 2015 at 6:47 pm
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8730 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  The most important question of all... Clueless Morgan 16 2797 April 3, 2014 at 11:05 am
Thumbs Down What common expressions do you hate? Tea Earl Grey Hot 33 6609 December 9, 2012 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17272 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan
  Favorite Expressions of Love thesummerqueen 27 9063 February 15, 2012 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist