Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Radical Minority Not Such a Minority
The Radical Minority Not Such a Minority
Apparently, barbarism runs deep.

http://pewresearch.org/databank/dailynum...hare=7fa27

Quote:About eight-in-ten Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan (82% each) endorse the stoning of people who commit adultery; 70% of Muslims in Jordan and 56% of Nigerian Muslims share this view. Muslims in Pakistan and Egypt are also the most supportive of whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery; 82% in Pakistan and 77% in Egypt favor making this type of punishment the law in their countries, as do 65% of Muslims in Nigeria and 58% in Jordan. When asked about the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion, at least three-quarters of Muslims in Jordan (86%), Egypt (84%) and Pakistan (76%) say they would favor making it the law; in Nigeria, 51% of Muslims favor and 46% oppose it. In contrast, Muslims in Lebanon, Turkey and Indonesia largely reject the notion that harsh punishments should be the law in their countries. About three-quarters of Turkish and Lebanese Muslims oppose the stoning of people who commit adultery (77% and 76%, respectively), as does a narrower majority (55%) of Muslims in Indonesia. Opposition to whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery and the death penalty for people who leave Islam is even more widespread in these three countries; 86% of Muslims in Lebanon, 82% in Turkey and 61% in Indonesia are against making harsh punishments for robbery and theft the law in their countries, and 93%, 91% and 64%, respectively, object to the death penalty against those who leave the Muslim religion.
RE: The Radical Minority Not Such a Minority
These statistics are great for showing mind sets within these countries mentioned. But harbor the danger of stigmatising and stereotyping muslim comunities in western sociaty.

Which is what is happening. Only because 82% of Pakistanis in Pakistan want to chop of a thiefs hands - this doesn`t mean that Pakistani imigrants in Europe want the same.

Still I hope most muslim countries will orientate the further development of their sociaty by what is happening in Turkey and Indonesia.

By the way, Hindu nationalists in India arent any better, aswell as other violent religious nutheads in countries such as Uganda (Christian)
Since Indonesia holds many many different cultures, even within islam, I wonder how the researchers managed to gather representive results? There's a big difference between Atjeh and Jakarta for instance. I think this test is nonsense. I know people live in the stone age in parts of the world, but I think it has more to do with lack of education and the social-economic situation.
Quote:but I think it has more to do with lack of education and the social-economic situation.

And the crackpots of religion thrive in the lowest of the low settings.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family of the reminder - Shiites ought to translate it as such. Mystic 23 1665 October 27, 2018 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  13 doctrines of radical Islam and ISIS mralstoner 25 15335 December 5, 2014 at 5:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Myth of the Tiny Radical Muslim Minority mralstoner 34 6833 November 8, 2014 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Lao Shizi
  Such a wonderful religion of peace KichigaiNeko 39 16198 September 10, 2012 at 8:58 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Radical Islam Has the Plan To Destroy America [Video] Handprint 20 12454 February 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Handprint