Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perhaps the writers of the bible were stuck in the concrete operations stage?
Perhaps the writers of the bible were stuck in the concrete operations stage?
Perhaps the writers of the bible were stuck in the concrete operations stage of psychological development? (I mean, maybe they were stuck at the end of it, and couldn't move on to the next stage?) It might apply to ordinary fundies, as well. Piaget's stages aren't perfect. They're rough approximations at best, but it kind of makes sense.

Basically, Piaget's stages of childhood development work like this. The stages are a ladder, and at each rung, if certain milestones in learning and life experience are met, you go on to the next stage higher. Lower stages are more concerned with learning basic motor skills. Mid range stages are more about problem solving and logic. Higher stages have less aggression and more capability for seeing multiple points of view/abstract thinking. The stages correspond to ages, but if childhood development is lacking in a significant way, a person can become "stuck" at a low stage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaget's_th...onal_stage

The Concrete Operational stage seems very much like the fundies we all know and love. It's characterized by black and white morals, a mastery of basic motor skills, simple (concrete) logic with no capacity for applying logic to abstract concepts such as infinity or omniscience, and a tendency to incorrectly imagine the point of view of other people. (Thus atheists, it seems to them, hate god for somehow betraying them.) This is the stage of children punching each other, acting masochistic, self-important (special) and stealing toys for no reason.

The concrete operations stage is supposed to end at 11, but if a person doesn't learn from adults in their life how to reason correctly and think abstractly, they can get stuck in it.

Edit-- some of this isn't mentioned by Wikipedia but, rather, by my College Psych textbook.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
RE: Perhaps the writers of the bible were stuck in the concrete operations stage?
(December 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm)Aegrus Wrote: Edit-- some of this isn't mentioned by Wikipedia but, rather, by my College Psych textbook.
ROFLOL
RE: Perhaps the writers of the bible were stuck in the concrete operations stage?
You are messed up!!!
I think that would be reductionism, which as psychologists, we should stray away from.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(December 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm)John V Wrote:
(December 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm)Aegrus Wrote: Edit-- some of this isn't mentioned by Wikipedia but, rather, by my College Psych textbook.
ROFLOL

Wink Shades I know, very official, right? Wikipedia and a college text book, and suddenly I'm ready to diagnose every fundy in the world.

In case anyone didn't catch this, I wrote it all tongue-in-cheek.

Edit--I think we need an armchair psychologist emoticon. Maybe an old guy with crazy white hair, reclining on a couch, smoking a pipe and peering over some spectacles? Anyone second that notion?
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Yeah, well, at any rate, when I first learned about Piaget's stages, and especially the concrete stage, it sounded almost exactly like religious fundamentalism.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(December 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm)Aegrus Wrote:
(December 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm)John V Wrote: ROFLOL

Wink Shades I know, very official, right? Wikipedia and a college text book, and suddenly I'm ready to diagnose every fundy in the world.

In case anyone didn't catch this, I wrote it all tongue-in-cheek.

Edit--I think we need an armchair psychologist emoticon. Maybe an old guy with crazy white hair, reclining on a couch, smoking a pipe and peering over some spectacles? Anyone second that notion?

[Image: just-plain-nuts.jpg]
(December 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm)Aegrus Wrote: In case anyone didn't catch this, I wrote it all tongue-in-cheek.
I thought you were quite serious. I suppose the Poe principal applies to atheists as well as theists.
(December 4, 2012 at 9:03 am)John V Wrote:
(December 3, 2012 at 10:02 pm)Aegrus Wrote: In case anyone didn't catch this, I wrote it all tongue-in-cheek.
I thought you were quite serious. I suppose the Poe principal applies to atheists as well as theists.

If it did we could call him "The Raven"
ROFLOL
Quote:Edit--I think we need an armchair psychologist emoticon. Maybe an old guy with crazy white hair, reclining on a couch, smoking a pipe and peering over some spectacles? Anyone second that notion?

Sounds good, but can we place a whopping big cigar in his mouth, rather than a pipe?
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44106 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  If you knew for certain that you were going to Hell zwanzig 32 2985 March 9, 2021 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Perhaps African Americans Are Finally Catching On Minimalist 81 12224 October 20, 2018 at 5:48 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2472 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  CATHOLICS, heads up if you were abused by your priest!...... 21stCenturyIconoclast 110 15267 January 12, 2017 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  "Were you there???" Heat 51 7367 October 24, 2015 at 2:52 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Christians - What would you do if it were discovered Jesus never existed? Cecelia 165 33718 September 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Did Bishops (In London) Ever Debate Whether Or Not Women Were Human? ReptilianPeon 8 3388 March 29, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Brometheus
  What were Jesus and early Christians like? watchamadoodle 343 60052 March 15, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: TimOneill
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7448 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky