Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are theists by nature simply insecure?
As atheists I suggest that most of us accept that the Universe came into existence as we see it today for no particular reason. Certainly not as a result of any conscience decision making or plan.

We are also quite happy to accept that we, as humans, are no more or less important than any other part of this expanding cloud of particles and energy and that our time here is brief and then when, finally, our bodies cease to function we simply exit the Universe and vanish, like teardrops in the rain.

However, if someone simply does not have the psychological equipment to be able to come to terms with this, seemingly, stark reality is it unreasonable to suppose that they might create some kind of purpose for their existence in the form of a greater plan which itself guarantees them continuation of their lives after the death of their body?

I suppose what I am really saying is that theists are by nature worriers and insecure and they cannot function without the knowledge that there is some kind of great purpose of which they are an integral part.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Are theists by nature simply insecure?
That is quite a broad brush you are using, and I don't think many theists would see it that way.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Maybe what we see around us has always been.I don't say it has, but it is a possibility and it has more attraction to me than has the idea of a creator.
I agree, why should there be a meaning or purpose to our existence? Again, I prefer to believe there isn't any.

So why do theists think as they do? Maybe they are best placed to answer, but my obserations are that indoctrination from an early age has much to do with it. As has feelings such as fear ( of judgement day ) or hope ( for eternal life ). Some may also genuinely believe that there simply HAS to be a purpose to living and dying. Simple being a part of a collective may also have its appeal.

Let them tell us.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I agree with Leo that not many would see it that way. But I also think that perhaps many wouldn't see it consciously, or admit it to themselves, consciously. But it may still actually be that way on a deeper level.

On the other hand I think that there are very probably plenty of believers out there who genuinely would not have any more of a problem coming to terms with lack of purpose and meaning etc as we do. And that that's not a part of the reasons they believe in (or believe in belief in) God.

There are many reasons for believing in God. I do agree with Darwinian's point in that it can be often valid, but I don't think it can be always the case - I'm sure there are at least some secure theists too. However surprising or not that is, however common or uncommon - and however we'd ever possibly measure that accurately; whereever the cut-off between 'secure' and 'insecure' is, however we'd somehow measure that.

EvF

Yes.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Guess they must be to believe in something without evidence, to cling to it in spite of the lack of evidence, often in spite of it and when it offers no real value to the universe except as some kind of comfort blanket.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I am very aware of the "we are space dust" thing. I went through that, around the time I went Atheist... It is true. I would never deny that we are nothing, insignificant skinny moneys that take ourselves far too seriously. I think belief, at least speaking for myself, offers something other than a "comfort blanket".

Up until Dotard and Kyu, you guys were doing a great job of being open minded and fair about what you think theists may think. But those two are also as entitled to their opinions.

Thanks,
-Pip
What is it that belief offers beyond a security/comfort blanket?
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
A reason why may be. But there might not be a why. If there is a why, belief is a reason why.
(August 13, 2009 at 8:44 am)Pippy Wrote: A reason why may be. But there might not be a why. If there is a why, belief is a reason why.

Why does there have to be a reason why? Nothing specifies that is necessary and the fact that you apparently feel such a need speaks more to your insecurity than anything else so we're back to the idea of a comfort blanket.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2877 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  Watching my cat, thinking about god and human nature Foxaèr 68 15401 July 19, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Nature's reasoning for religion... maestroanth 4 1496 May 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  About sinful nature, sexual pleasures? Coreni 20 4851 June 26, 2015 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4887 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Is God really real or are people simply deluded? RobertE 117 18135 March 14, 2015 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8171 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Sam Harris simply destroys William Lane Craig little_monkey 10 6253 July 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  The law of nature. shesadri 2 1232 June 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: shesadri
  Hurricane Katrina, Mother nature or Wrath of God? L4EV 34 14840 May 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy