Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Atheist
New Atheist
Hey all, just wanted to say hello! I am a new atheist (2011). You can read my profile for more details. It was a long hard road out of "hell" but I am much happier and mentally healthier now. I live in San Diego, CA and play/teach music for a living. But I am also a part time philosopher, as I have since gotten my BA in philosophy.

I hope to see you all on the boards!

median
[Image: AtheistForumsSig.jpg]
RE: New Atheist
Welcome!
Hi from the UK!
Sum ergo sum
Hello there. Nice to meet you.
Where abouts in San Diego? I used to live there as well.
Welcome
I'm going to go out on a limb here and "prophesize" that the theists will say you weren't a True Christian™ because you deconverted. No true Scotsman
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Hello and welcome to the jolliest bunch this side of the nuthouse, uh, I mean to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(December 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Welcome
I'm going to go out on a limb here and "prophesize" that the theists will say you weren't a True Christian™ because you deconverted. No true Scotsman

Oi, work the other side of the street! There's only room for one prophet, even in a non-prophet organisation! Smile

Greetings to the new guy from the UK!
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(December 7, 2012 at 10:15 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
(December 7, 2012 at 8:48 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Welcome

HA! Yes, I have heard that plenty of times in my life. My usual response is, "Well, by your logic then, you're not a true Christian either b/c Christianity is false. In fact, by your logic there is no such thing as a true follower of any religion."

Thank you for the heads up though!

Btw, for those of you who have been around here for a while, can you tell me what theists to watch out for? In other words, who are the "most extreme" (most irrational) theists that post on this board?

median
[Image: AtheistForumsSig.jpg]
(December 8, 2012 at 1:29 am)median Wrote: Btw, for those of you who have been around here for a while, can you tell me what theists to watch out for? In other words, who are the "most extreme" (most irrational) theists that post on this board?

Aaaw, it's not nice badmouthing any member, you'll find out soon enough for yourself Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New New New Quid 23 4802 December 11, 2012 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  New poster; relatively new atheist. Creed of Heresy 15 4141 February 21, 2012 at 11:56 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  New here, but not a new Atheist mboss 12 4067 June 15, 2011 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Epimethean
  Hello from a new atheist and a new member ssmutters 12 3189 August 9, 2010 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Super Cynic