Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
consciousness?
consciousness?
Does/Could a cosmic consciousness exist?
Now that I don`t believe, I can`t believe that I ever did. -Unknown
RE: consciousness?
(December 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm)Alfred Wrote: Does/Could a cosmic consciousness exist?

No.

Thread over.
(December 15, 2012 at 6:30 pm)genkaus Wrote:
(December 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm)Alfred Wrote: Does/Could a cosmic consciousness exist?

No.

Thread over.
I'm only trying to learn from others here. How do you account for your own consciousness? Is the Universe aware if itself? If you do not want to participate on this thread don't. But, you certainly do not have the right to end any discussion on this forum. A little maturity on your part will serve you well.
No. Because there has never been anything put forward that would suggest such a thing exists. Aside from ideas that people have conjured up.
(December 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm)Voltron Wrote: No. Because there has never been anything put forward that would suggest such a thing exists. Aside from ideas that people have conjured up.
Thank you for your input, have a good day.
(December 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm)Alfred Wrote:
(December 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm)Voltron Wrote: No. Because there has never been anything put forward that would suggest such a thing exists. Aside from ideas that people have conjured up.

Sure.
What are your thoughts Alfred?
(December 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm)Alfred Wrote:

Are you sure you want to learn stuff from people here? Or do you mean you want to hear what you want to hear? If so, you've come to the wrong place.

You have basically dismissed two very reasonable comments from genkaus and voltron.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

i don`t think it exists but you can not say with certainty that is does not just because it has no evidence does not make it impossible

to make my point in the dark ages there was no evidence of a spheical earth and yet as science grew and exploration expanded the globe it became apparent that in fact it was indeed a sphere

you should say without any evidence that is highly unlikely
not a plain no that is a insufficient answer and a dead end in a debate and that stagnates further research in the subject

unless the position is outright been proven to be false then you can say but in this case there is not sufficient studies done either way to make a definite conclusion

and in this subject the science is in his infancy and there have been some fascinating studies to show the brain capable of some extraordinary stuff but as i said before more study is needed to conclusively say yes or no

i do not think the human mind is capable of a conscious awareness of such a thing if it even exist.
[Image: AtheistA_zpsebbc54fa.png]
It could but I don't know if it does and it wouldn't effect my life in anyway so.

On the assumption you're using the general accepted definitions of consciousness:

Quote:1:
a: the quality or state of being aware especially of something within oneself
b: the state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact
c: awareness; especially : concern for some social or political cause

2: the state of being characterized by sensation, emotion, volition, and thought : mind

3: the totality of conscious states of an individual

4: the normal state of conscious life <regained consciousness>

5: the upper level of mental life of which the person is aware as contrasted with unconscious processes

...the answer is no. Consciousness is a property of brains, demonstrably. No brain, no consciousness.
Sum ergo sum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good read on consciousness Apollo 41 2579 January 12, 2021 at 4:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How could we trust our consciousness ?! zainab 45 4607 December 30, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Consciousness Trilemma Neo-Scholastic 208 55760 June 7, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Trying to simplify my Consciousness hypothesis Won2blv 83 13934 February 21, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My thoughts on the Hard problem of consciousness Won2blv 36 5485 February 15, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  A hypothesis about consciousness Won2blv 12 3929 February 12, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Won2blv
  Foundation of all Axioms the Axioms of Consciousness fdesilva 98 13978 September 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Bunburryist
  Consciousness is simply an illusion emergent of a Boltzmann brain configuration.... maestroanth 36 5414 April 10, 2016 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  On naturalism and consciousness FallentoReason 291 44140 September 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: dissily mordentroge
  Does it make sense to speak of "Universal Consciousness" or "Universal Intelligence"? Mudhammam 253 41811 June 8, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam