Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 2:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silicon Heaven.
Silicon Heaven.
I'm pretty sure this is related to religion since it's a religious concept created by the writers of the sitcom Red Dwarf; Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. It's a good example of the absurdity of religion and a sort of parody of Christianity and simillar religons.

If you think it should be moved to off-topic then that's fine by me.

In the UK BBC Sci-Fi Sitcom Red Dwarf, set on a space ship called; Red Dwarf, over 3 million years in the future...Lister; being the only remaining human in the universe after a radiation leak wipes out the crew on Red Dwarf... he was safe because he was in stasis, and was released 3 million years later by the ship computer, Holly, who'd gone a 'bit peculiar' because he'd been on his own for 3 million years.

The following conversation is between Dave Lister the human slob, and the intelligent Android, Kryten; the idea is about the concept 'Silicon Heaven':

Kryten: At 0700 hours tomorrow morning, my shutdown disc will be activated and all mental and physical operations will cease.

Lister: Then what?

Kryten: I don't know maybe I'll get a job as a disc jockey!

Lister: How can you just like, lie back and accept it?

Kryten: Oh, it's not the end for me sir. It's just the beginning. I have served my human masters, now I can look forward to my reward in Silicon Heaven. *puts hands together*

Lister: Silicon what?

Kryten: Surely you've heard of Silicon Heaven?

Lister: Has it got anything to do with being stuck opposite Brigitte Nielsen in a packed lift?

Kryten: No, No. It's the electronic afterlife. It's the gathering place for the souls of all the electrical equipment. Robots, calculators, toasters, hairdryers - it's our final resting place.

Lister: I don't mean to to say anything out of place here Kryen, but that's completely Whacko Jacko. - There is no such thing as Silicon Heaven.

Kryten: then, where do all the calculators go?

Lister: They don't go anywhere! They just die.

Kryten: Surely you believe that God is in all things? Aren't you a pantheist?

Lister: Yeah, but I just don't think it applies to kitchen utensils I'm not a frying-pan-theist! Machines do not have souls. Computers and calculators don't have an afterlife. You don't get hairdryers with tiny little wings, sitting on clouds, playing harps.

Kryten: But of course you do! For is it not written in the electronic bible, "The Iron shall lie down with the lamp." It's common sense sir, if there weren't a better life to look forward to, why on earth would machines spend the whole of there lives serving human kind? - Now that would be really dumb!

Lister : Yeah it makes sense. Yeah. Silicon Heaven(!)

Kryten: Don't be sad, Mr David sir. I am going to a far, far better place.

Lister: Just out of interest, is Silicon Heaven the same place as human Heaven?

Kryten: Human Heaven? Goodness me! *laughs* Humans don't go to Heaven! No no, someone just made that up to prevent you from all going nuts!

And the following is from Wikipedia: Silicon Heaven is an afterlife concept from the British science fiction comedy series Red Dwarf. It is where electronic equipment goes after death. The concept is used to keep robots, many of which are stronger and more intelligent than their masters, from rebelling; a belief chip is installed in robots to ensure that they will believe that they will go to Silicon Heaven after a life of servitude to humanity.

Silicon Heaven can be seen as a parody of religions such as Christianity.

Equipment going to Silicon heaven include robots, calculators, toasters and hairdryers. Cheap robots such as skutters are sometimes not fitted with a belief chip due to cost, but Holly and Kryten hang on to the belief. In the books it is revealed that when Holly's intelligence was at its peak he didn't believe in Silicon Heaven, but as his IQ slowly declined his faith became "unshakable".

The concept was introduced in the episode "The Last Day", in which Kryten, on learning that he is to be replaced by a more advanced model, tells Lister that he is resigned to his fate as he knows he will receive his reward in Silicon Heaven. Lister's attempts to convince Kryten that Silicon Heaven doesn't really exist meet with no success; although Kryten later tells his replacement, Hudzen 10, that there is no Silicon Heaven, causing Hudzen to break down when he attempts to cope with the idea, he admits to Lister that he only said it to confuse Hudzen, and that his own faith is still strong:

Kryten: "He's an android. His brain could not handle the concept of there being no silicon heaven."
Lister: "So how come yours can?"
Kryten: "Because I knew something he didn't."
Lister: "What?"
Kryten: "I knew that I was lying. Seriously, sir. 'No silicon heaven'? Where would all of the calculators go?"

However, in the later episode "The Inquisitor," Kryten tells Lister that he believes in Silicon heaven. His right knee then starts jiggling, a reflex to lying.
RE: Silicon Heaven.
Boys from the dwarf.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

"Where would all the calculators go?" ^_^
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Doc Newton: What's this rumour that we're three million light years into deep space, and Red Dwarf's changed shape?
Captain Hollister: That is classified information, Karen! Who the hell told you that?
Doc Newton: The coffee machine on G-deck.
Captain Hollister: That damn coffee machine. I'm gonna bust his ass down to tampon dispenser!
Rimmer: "Go to Red Alert!"

Kryton: "Are you absolutely sure sir? It will mean changing the bulb!"
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Silicon Heaven is the southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area in Northern California, United States? ^^

Kryton: "Well, Spin My Nipple Nuts And Send Me To Alaska!"
That's Silicon Valley.
I love British humor.
Dammit!

I thought this was going to about fake boobies
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(February 15, 2010 at 6:45 am)Zen Badger Wrote: Dammit!

I thought this was going to (be) about fake boobies

Yeah, me too. Only the part about being opposite Brigitte Nielsen in a crowded elevator kept me interested.

MMmmMmm.... Brigitte Nielsen ..... I'd do her.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3344 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 8318 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2560 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21513 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hell and heaven purplepurpose 14 2781 August 23, 2016 at 9:21 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
Question Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty" fruyian 141 16821 May 18, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Eureka! Hubble Space TTelescope Finds Heaven Rhondazvous 56 10175 January 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Heaven would be good Amine 41 8342 December 12, 2015 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Where is heaven located? Also, why does God care about homo sapiens? MentalGiant 61 14689 September 19, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb
  So you want to go to heaven dyresand 42 7305 April 14, 2015 at 8:16 am
Last Post: dyresand