Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty"
Question 
Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty"
Hi, How does one tackle this response? I posted something on a funny video that mentioned heaven,
My Post:
"Going from an incredible humorous video to some critical open minded thinking, If I may. To me heaven really sounds like a crude form of servility. Acting like sheep and you have to kneel, praise and grovel this tyrannical dictator from dawn till dusk, who never lets you go and constantly asks you to thank him and praise him every minute of every day. Total surveillance around the clock every waking and sleeping minute of your life before you're born and, even worse after you're dead. It's seems like hell to me. It is as they say a fate worse than death. Who wants this to be true? Who but a slave desires such a ghastly fate?

All that not including that this so called 'afterlife' has no evidence for it's existence. None. Postulating such a place brings more questions than answers.. If it does exist, like which heaven is the right one?? I am pretty sure Islam followers have often said they want non muslims out of the promised lands and are going to hell. Same with some Christians saying about other Christians.. Protestants say Catholics are not going to heaven and vice versa and many people say if you are an unbeliever, as I am, or even a homosexual, you are not allowed to go to heaven. Too many questions before anyone has to claim certainty.

Sure the idea of seeing your loved ones again brings comfort, that is human in away, but that in no way validates such claims.. we do know that humans lie and create myths, like to provide comfort for the unknown. But to me, this life, the only life we know to exist, can be lived better and more actively when you come to the logical conclusion that there is no such place. We are older as a civilization, we evolve and grow out of outdated thinking. But we need to criticize these claims in order to advance civilization. There that is all. Cheers if anyone took the time to read this.. now i'm off Smile"

and his post to this:
"Nope, you son have a child's view of religion that a sophisticated Philosophical Classic Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty. First the existence of God (& or the afterlife) is a rational conclusion of philosophical argument not empirical investigation. Classic category mistake. Like claiming you disbelieve in Natural selection because you can't prove it using a large hadron collider or disbelieving in a Higgs boson particle because you can't find one in the fossil record. It's called a category mistake. Loo it up. The tyranny of servility comes from serving the undeserving and the inferior. Conforming to reality or Ultimate Reality Itself by definition isn't servility. Ergo serving God by definition can't be servility but is in fact the ultimate freedom. Also omniscience(knowing everything) isn't the same as Total surveillance. You employ surveillance because you don't know and need to observed. God doesn't need to observe anything from all eternity He knows. your primitive views of religion are to me the Atheist version of a Young Earth Creationist type claiming evolution is wrong because of the second law of thermal dynamics or some such foolishness. Good God man if you are going to be an Atheist at least be more intellectually sophisticated."

As you can see I have Christopher Hitchens saying and viewpoint in my post... so would that negate his 'that is not an intellectual sophisticated philosophical view'?

This is what I have written in a short time I have at the moment
"I am an atheist, and I consider myself to be intellectually sophisticated in this area. As the saying goes, an atheist is a person more likely to see all religions the same and usually with experience of actually being religious before one becomes an atheist. That to me is a good standpoint to be at when one is figuring out who has the more intellectual sophisticated view..."
RE: Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty"
I would say there's no such thing as sophisticated philosophy. You can philosophize all you want but there's no amount of psychobabble that can prove God. Or prove anything really.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I'm amazed at his degree of Orwellian doublespeak.

"The tyranny of servility comes from serving the undeserving and the inferior. Conforming to reality or Ultimate Reality Itself by definition isn't servility. Ergo serving God by definition can't be servility but is in fact the ultimate freedom."

When is slavery not slavery? When you think the Master deserves to have slaves, I guess. Yeah... THAT's "intellectually sophisticated". Dodgy
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

If you're talking about reality, then philosophy is only effective when properly combined with evidence. Trying to extend knowledge beyond what can be measured in some way is not sophisticated, it is worthless blind speculation.

If you're talking about morality, what is and isn't acceptable, then there are no right answers. Any two people need to agree on what the goals of morality actually are, before the discussion can even begin. And unless some incredibly simplistic measure is being used, it's still going to be largely a matter of opinion (within a reduced scope). There are however bad answers, which use flawed reasoning and so aren't even internally consistent. There are also answers which offer a detailed explanation, and those which are simply a decree.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Oh, and welcome to the forums Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
That guy keeps saying 'sophisticated'. I don't think that word means what he thinks it means. Also: what a shining example of Christianity that he 'laughs with cruelty' at those he thinks are wrong. Fucking chode.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Is there not a distinction between servitude and followership? In a social hierarchy or paramilitary organization there can be leadership and followership. This relationship does not necessarily denote servitude.
Religion loves to reverse things. Servitude to a god equals freedom. Thinking only what he wants you to think, and doing only what he wants you to do, is somehow ultimate freedom. Heaven is a terrible existence, though I suppose people in heaven wouldn't recognize it, because they're not allowed to disagree with their god. In the christian afterlife, you're either given a lobotomy, or set on fire. Your choice.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 8, 2016 at 6:39 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: Is there not a distinction between servitude and followership?  In a social hierarchy or paramilitary organization there can be leadership and followership.  This relationship does not necessarily denote servitude.

The difference lies in whether or not one's servitude is imposed. In Christian doctrine, the consequence of dissent is eternal torture, which is about as obvious an imposition as you can get.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 710 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 2590 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3311 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 8022 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2794 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2520 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9134 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 2982 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1859 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  God is great WinterHold 32 5119 August 2, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis