Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Power of "Similar Thinkers"
The Power of "Similar Thinkers"
Deconversion has made me appreciate more about life and the world I live in than when I used to live under a rock as a Christian. One of the things I have observed since my new found freedom is how the believer might think that their particular god is actually working through them and their peers.

Let's imagine the typical office of, say, engineers. This office might have some 20 engineers from slightly differing academic backgrounds and slightly differing areas of expertise, but together as one, they can achieve things that are reflective of their "desires" i.e. collectively they can build a skyscraper or extract minerals and metals from the ground. Clearly, we have an environment of people who think similarly and therefore achieve siimilar goals relative to their thinking.

Let's imagine the typical church of, say, Pentecostal Christians. This church might be a church with 200-300 members who all have slightly differing backgrounds, but together as one, they can experience things that are reflective of their desires i.e. collectively they can start sobbing during worship because of "God's presence" and they can confirm they have received healing during emotionally drenched prayers. Clearly, we have an environment of people who think similarly and therefore achieve similar goals relative to their thinking.

Of course God seems to be real in such an environment when you're surrounded by people wishing to experience the same thing as you. By default, you'll make that happen because they, like yourself, desire to live in that reality. This is why every religion will always tell you their god works in the way described in their holy book, because in reality, they act in a manner that conforms to what the damn book says!

I remember being amazed once (back when I was a Christian) when we had an open mic night during worship where anyone could go to the mic and pray whatever they wanted. A friend wanted to pray about this particular thing but didn't have the courage to go up to the mic but they said another person went up and actually prayed for what they wanted to pray about. The thing is, that's to be expected in the room full of Similar Thinkers, because if we go back to our Similar Thinkers in the engineering office and think of the reverse (i.e. let's chuck an engineer, a janitor and a clown together) then the desires of the group won't be achieved as they don't gel together. Well, if some of our Similar Thinkers at the church were replaced by Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists, then surely you wouldn't expect the prayer of the Hindu to have coincided with my Christian friend's prayer.

All of this leads me to believe the principle that similar people will produce similar results relative to the people. "Goddidit" is an illusion that results from sharing the same bias as the person next to you during that Sunday morning service.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: The Power of "Similar Thinkers"
You touch on a subject here that fascinates me.
The common presumption is that a team should be comprised of similar people, but for me, one of the main reasons why I object to the practice of religion is the enforced conformity. In my experience there is a relationship on how much a community achieves and its willingness to accept eccentricity.

Even in the military which you would think, would be organisations founded on conformity, I have found the elite units encourage levels of disunity that would be anathema in the ordinary service.

To be part of something and yet not be expected to conform, could be seen as the highest freedom. And it is also could be why it is so worth our while defending it. Thinking about this as a born atheist I sort of understand why so many people who become openly atheist, express a feeling of release.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regarding the power of religion over emotions Macoleco 19 4050 April 1, 2018 at 4:46 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How has the church lost power through time? Macoleco 10 1002 September 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Are you and your significant other a "real" power couple? Foxaèr 19 2830 August 4, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Bible & Science: The Ultimate Power Couple athrock 33 4944 February 11, 2016 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Alex K
  The use of Religion to control, manipulate, and gain power MusicLovingAtheist 64 9205 September 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why is belief in a higher power required? Foxaèr 165 59230 June 30, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The power of faith directed at Christians and Muslims Mystic 8 4669 October 28, 2012 at 4:05 am
Last Post: Spectrum
  The power of God Gooders1002 11 4140 April 2, 2012 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Bgood
  Power and moral truth Purple Rabbit 5 3032 July 19, 2010 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb