Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has the church lost power through time?
How has the church lost power through time?
I am going to write an article for the newspaper of my university, and I have decided to write about how the chuch has lost power compared to the past. I already have the general idea, but I would like you to share your knowledge. 

Also, recommend books/articles if you want please.

Thank you.  Smile Smile
RE: How has the church lost power through time?
It first began to lose power when men became literate, when men no longer relied upon the clergy to read to them, and thus men began to think for themselves when they read the book in its entirety instead of only hearing parts of it in church.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Information, science, technology and enlightened thought exposed the fallacies of religion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
They tried to control sex.

Do you plan on compensating folks for doing the legwork on the article you'll be receiving credit for?

Not judging, mind you. 
Just curious.
Incessant schisms due to a garbled and confusing Message.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Study the European Enlightenment.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

[Image: quote-twenty-years-after-the-death-of-lu...-42-80.jpg]
They could never quite get the hang of this:

[Image: 03-0066-2T.jpg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
And if the 10s of thousands of schisms didn't neuter the faith enough, then you get Christians deciding for themselves which Bible verses they would comport to and which ones they would not as they were seen as inconvenient.

IOWs, modern era Christianity has no 'there' there.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Losing virginity" - what is being lost here? Fake Messiah 36 4019 September 12, 2018 at 9:14 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Regarding the power of religion over emotions Macoleco 19 4036 April 1, 2018 at 4:46 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8278 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Are you and your significant other a "real" power couple? Foxaèr 19 2817 August 4, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Bible & Science: The Ultimate Power Couple athrock 33 4913 February 11, 2016 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Alex K
  New vid: argument from ignorance explained through mining robvalue 56 8136 January 2, 2016 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  The use of Religion to control, manipulate, and gain power MusicLovingAtheist 64 9154 September 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why is belief in a higher power required? Foxaèr 165 59177 June 30, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The Power of "Similar Thinkers" FallentoReason 1 1096 January 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: jonb
  The power of faith directed at Christians and Muslims Mystic 8 4664 October 28, 2012 at 4:05 am
Last Post: Spectrum