Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regarding the power of religion over emotions
Regarding the power of religion over emotions
As someone who used to believe in God and was a christian, I have a question, specially to ex-believers, now atheists.

I used to do the common religious activies such as praying, and believing I had a personal relationship with God. In many points through my life, I thought God had helped me, and thta he was always watching over me. These kind of believes and activities can cause some very strong emotions over a person.  Very positive emotions. It makes you feel safe, strong, energetic, and that you can accomplish anything in your life. It helps you overcome hardships, control negative emotions, etc.

After becoming an a atheist, all of these emotions are gone. Maybe not completely, but not to the same extent. Now I feel more insecure, since I know God is not protecting me. I dont feel like an accomplish anything, since I am not all powerful and God isnt helping me. It is now harder to have a positive outlook of life and the future since there is no God. This idea of God is extremly powerful, and I see almost no way of compete against it only with reason and force of will. 

I have been wondering if some ex-believers have reached the same level of "positive emotions" if you may call it, only by force of will and reason. 

Just as an anecdote, a few times I have pretended to talk to God as an atheist, and I feel some positive force on me. Perhaps I was so accustomed to this in the past, that it still lingers on me. And please, I dont want any believer telling me it is the power of God telling me to believe again.
RE: Regarding the power of religion over emotions
When still nominally 'believing' I was more struck by God's sense of humor (of which I was a perpetual victim) and I never felt 'protected'.

Wonky shit still happens to me, but it doesn't take a God with a warped sense of humor to explain it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 25, 2018 at 9:48 pm)Macoleco Wrote: As someone who used to believe in God and was a christian, I have a question, specially to ex-believers, now atheists.

I used to do the common religious activies such as praying, and believing I had a personal relationship with God. In many points through my life, I thought God had helped me, and thta he was always watching over me. These kind of believes and activities can cause some very strong emotions over a person.  Very positive emotions. It makes you feel safe, strong, energetic, and that you can accomplish anything in your life. It helps you overcome hardships, control negative emotions, etc.

After becoming an a atheist, all of these emotions are gone. Maybe not completely, but not to the same extent. Now I feel more insecure, since I know God is not protecting me. I dont feel like an accomplish anything, since I am not all powerful and God isnt helping me. It is now harder to have a positive outlook of life and the future since there is no God. This idea of God is extremly powerful, and I see almost no way of compete against it only with reason and force of will. 

I have been wondering if some ex-believers have reached the same level of "positive emotions" if you may call it, only by force of will and reason. 

Just as an anecdote, a few times I have pretended to talk to God as an atheist, and I feel some positive force on me. Perhaps I was so accustomed to this in the past, that it still lingers on me. And please, I dont want any believer telling me it is the power of God telling me to believe again.

Okay I want, what I will say is you weren't ever a Christian, how could you have been if you believe there is no God. Christianity is no pretend thing nor delusion, it is real with a real God and how do I know this, a personal relationship where God and I communicate in wonderful ways and only in His timing.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(March 25, 2018 at 9:59 pm)Godscreated Wrote:
(March 25, 2018 at 9:48 pm)Macoleco Wrote: As someone who used to believe in God and was a christian, I have a question, specially to ex-believers, now atheists.

Okay I want, what I will say is you weren't ever a Christian, how could you have been if you believe there is no God. Christianity is no pretend thing nor delusion, it is real with a real God and how do I know this, a personal relationship where God and I communicate in wonderful ways and only in His timing.

GC

I think you misunderstood something I said. I used to believe in a REAL GOD. I have pretended a few times as an atheist. Not as a believer.
It wasn't that many years ago I heard a Methodist refer to Methodism as The One True Faith. I'd never heard the expression before, (use it all the time now, if you haven't noticed) and immediately realized just how fucking ludicrous it was in regards to Methodism.

I was the right age to get in on their ecumenical bent in the late 60s and absorbed a tolerance for other religions sharing some truths with Methodism, apparently. I realize now that was Erroneous. God is NOT an Ecumenist.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

You can accomplish things and you should give yourself the credit for any accomplishment, not some deity. Reason and truth is far better than living in a fantasy world. I can relate somewhat to your feeling of emptiness. I'm sure that most apostates go through this. I compare it to a drug addiction of sorts. The drug gave you a false sense of security. You are free of the addiction but you still miss that feeling. I found an atheist group in my home town to fellowship with. My work keeps me away for the most part but knowing that they are there helps. I hope you are able to work through this and divert that adoration for a non-existent deity towards yourself, where it belongs.
I believe in life before death.

It is rational to feel you can not accomplish "anything" you desire and are not all powerful. We all have limitations. To feel otherwise is insane.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

^I am insane on both accounts then, medical and your definition haha.

Placebo ends when a person begins to doubt and rationalize. Placebo works to degrees.   Doubt seeks certainty. 

To give up on the truth because you doubted is not the purpose of doubt nor to doubt the truth after being shown clearly with proofs is not the purpose of doubt.

Doubt is just an indicator that you need further clarification and insight or a need to rekindle and remind yourself of what you know.

My question to you, is what advice are you seeking from people here? What do you want to hear? 

You don't like to believe in a supernatural force and creator, sure, but than you will believe people if they tell you can gain that will power and energy without reliable support and source and guidance?

I want you to do the same. Demand evidence on both sides.   When I was Atheist that horrible week I was, I sought to search evidence for all the foundations of what makes us human.

What makes an action praiseworthy? What makes a person praiseworthy? How do you inherit your actions? What accountability is there when we do good or bad, how does our personhood inherit the deed scores we score in a given day?   What makes you the same person as you were once before?

What makes you who you are? What is your foundational essence?
As an interesting counterpoint to the loss of those perceptions correlating to the loss of religion - I never had a religion, so never lost a religion..and I -do- have those perceptions.

All of the things that believers communicate as the nature of their "relationship with god"...I feel all of that, just without any gods or need for gods, lol.    It's my familiarity and recognition of what they're talking about, the certain understanding that they feel what I feel, that forms the basis of my calling bullshit when they get too churchspeaky about some x. 

They're taking liberties with our shared experience, and we both know better. Like Mystic..above.. as he rattles off that script..and it is a script..as though he draws a complete blank in the absence of god.

He and I both know that he doesn't. Wink

Back round to former believers who feel that loss. Well, do you, really..and if so...could it be that the baby went out with the bathwater?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 25, 2018 at 10:04 pm)Macoleco Wrote:
(March 25, 2018 at 9:59 pm)Godscreated Wrote: Okay I want, what I will say is you weren't ever a Christian, how could you have been if you believe there is no God. Christianity is no pretend thing nor delusion, it is real with a real God and how do I know this, a personal relationship where God and I communicate in wonderful ways and only in His timing.

GC

I think you misunderstood something I said. I used to believe in a REAL GOD. I have pretended a few times as an atheist. Not as a believer.

You played at being a Christian, You couldn't have believed in the real God and now deny Him. You could reject what He wants for you but never deny Him, you could never be an atheist. You see I completely understand.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inquiry regarding creationists neil 48 1471 February 18, 2024 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How has the church lost power through time? Macoleco 10 989 September 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Are you and your significant other a "real" power couple? Foxaèr 19 2788 August 4, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The Bible & Science: The Ultimate Power Couple athrock 33 4840 February 11, 2016 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4869 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19600 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 48971 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  The use of Religion to control, manipulate, and gain power MusicLovingAtheist 64 9040 September 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Why is belief in a higher power required? Foxaèr 165 58517 June 30, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Brian37