Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible & Science: The Ultimate Power Couple
The Bible & Science: The Ultimate Power Couple
I came across this announcement, and I thought it might be worth passing on for those who are interested:

[Image: 412%2BqKC62WL.jpg]

Dr. Michael Guillen’s newest book "Amazing Truths: How Science and the Bible Agree" (HarperCollins) will be released on February 9, 2016.

Born in East Los Angeles, he earned his BS from UCLA and his MS and PhD from Cornell University in physics, mathematics and astronomy.

For 8 years he was an award-winning physics instructor at Harvard University. For 14 years he was the Emmy-award-winning science correspondent for ABC News, appearing regularly on "Good Morning America," "20/20," "Nightline," and "World News Tonight."

He has written a preview article here:  http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/02/0...cmp=hphz04
RE: The Bible & Science: The Ultimate Power Couple
Would've been impressive if this was published in a peer reviewed journal instead of as just a book.
Science does completely mesh with the Bible..... if you're not a Bible literalist.
If you are a Bible literalist, then science does not and can not be compatible with it.
I've heard the argument that the bible is scientifically accurate. However the creation story doesn't mesh with how planets formed, you can't make livestock have striped young by putting striped poles in front of them while they have sex, diseases are not caused by demons, among other false things. The bible doesn't really mesh with science, and some theists are opposed to science just because the bible doen't agree with it. A good example would be evolution, which is the foundation of modern biology, yet there are religious people who believe it's false.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

But they obviously don't agree at all.... He must be doing a lot of cherry picking and arbitrary interpreting of words to mean whatever he wants, for that exercise to work. Well, I guess it'll pay him the rent for a while. Just don't expect me to be impressed.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I've heard you can buy books that just have science in them now, without having to cross anything out or pretend it says other stuff.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 9, 2016 at 9:24 am)Irrational Wrote: Would've been impressive if this was published in a peer reviewed journal instead of as just a book.

That is the game being played here. The author has a scientific background, he knows how science publications work, and presumably has an idea of why that stuff is important. But when it comes to the religious beliefs, the rigorous fact checking must be stopped, the god must be treated with kid gloves, the peer review process must be short circuited. Despite this, those who already want what the author claims to be true (it's no accident that athrock could not possibly have read the book yet, but has still decided that it's accurate) will trot it out as "scientific evidence" despite not going through any of the steps of the scientific method or publication regimen, and skeptics like us are expected not to ask why that is.

I mean, it's only a claim that, if true, would turn the majority of science on its head and contradict the majority of what we've learned. Why on earth would we want that fact checked? Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
The first chapter.

http://www.michaelguillen.com/htdocs/Boo...amptxt.pdf

In the last paragraph he states "That’s why I wrote this book. Not to convert you to my way of seeing things - I  don’t have that kind of power. But to explain the reasons why I rejoice daily in the choice I have made - and what a huge, practical difference that choice has made in my life and can make in your life as well."

Sounds like he is admitting that the book is more opinion and rationalization than fact.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I think one would have to read the book to find out. However his first claim, that the bible and science both support absolute truth is a big snooze. It reminds me of Muslim attempts to claim scientific miracles in the koran by retrofitting vague language onto modern scientific conceptions.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 9, 2016 at 9:24 am)Irrational Wrote: Would've been impressive if this was published in a peer reviewed journal instead of as just a book.

Yeah, 'cause the author appears to need that given his lack of credentials.  Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regarding the power of religion over emotions Macoleco 19 4071 April 1, 2018 at 4:46 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7602 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How has the church lost power through time? Macoleco 10 1005 September 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Are you and your significant other a "real" power couple? Foxaèr 19 2836 August 4, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3634 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The use of Religion to control, manipulate, and gain power MusicLovingAtheist 64 9256 September 29, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Ultimate Argument Severan 35 7721 February 6, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why is belief in a higher power required? Foxaèr 165 59308 June 30, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The Power of "Similar Thinkers" FallentoReason 1 1098 January 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: jonb
  The power of faith directed at Christians and Muslims Mystic 8 4670 October 28, 2012 at 4:05 am
Last Post: Spectrum