Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this seriously worth it? Guantanmo inmate never charged with a crime, dies after 11 years in US custody
Is this seriously worth it? Guantanmo inmate never charged with a crime, dies after 11 years in US custody
The al-jazeera article can be found here. This man was never tried for a crime, was never convicted of a crime, and died never having committed terrorism. Nonetheless, he was kept in detainment in Gitmo for 11 years before being found dead in his cell. He tried to kill himself because "death was more desirable than living there." His release was even demanded by the Supreme Court, yet that was rescinded.

How is this justifiable? Are we really okay with locking people up with no evidence or trial of any kind based on an (often mistaken) assumption?
[Image: hoviksig-1.png]
Ex Machina Libertas
RE: Is this seriously worth it? Guantanmo inmate never charged with a crime, dies after 11 years in US custody
(September 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm)Hovik Wrote: The al-jazeera article can be found here. This man was never tried for a crime, was never convicted of a crime, and died never having committed terrorism. Nonetheless, he was kept in detainment in Gitmo for 11 years before being found dead in his cell. He tried to kill himself because "death was more desirable than living there." His release was even demanded by the Supreme Court, yet that was rescinded.

How is this justifiable? Are we really okay with locking people up with no evidence or trial of any kind based on an (often mistaken) assumption?

It concerns me. It would also concern me if we treated non-uniformed armed combatants as US citizens who were simply accused of committing crimes. The asymmetric nature of the terrorist threat has created many situations that various governmental processes and systems were not designed to handle, and as a result, don't handle well. This is one of them. However given what we know about Guantanamo detainees, this man's death is very likely to be attributable to his actions against the United States. He was essentially a prisoner of war in a war that continues. Therefore his incarceration was justified and moral, and his death, while saddening, is due to his actions and those of his people.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Is this seriously worth it? Guantanmo inmate never charged with a crime, dies after 11 years in US custody
This is the kind of thing governments do when the public can't see, its nothing new.
Not happy about it but I'm not surprised either.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
What actions? Did you even read the article?
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(September 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm)Tino Wrote:
(September 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm)Hovik Wrote: The al-jazeera article can be found here. This man was never tried for a crime, was never convicted of a crime, and died never having committed terrorism. Nonetheless, he was kept in detainment in Gitmo for 11 years before being found dead in his cell. He tried to kill himself because "death was more desirable than living there." His release was even demanded by the Supreme Court, yet that was rescinded.

It concerns me. It would also concern me if we treated non-uniformed armed combatants as US citizens who were simply accused of committing crimes. The asymmetric nature of the terrorist threat has created many situations that various governmental processes and systems were not designed to handle, and as a result, don't handle well. This is one of them. However given what we know about Guantanamo detainees, this man's death is very likely to be attributable to his actions against the United States. He was essentially a prisoner of war in a war that continues. Therefore his incarceration was justified and moral, and his death, while saddening, is due to his actions and those of his people.

What actions against the United States? He was picked up by bounty hunters for no reason, and was considered a terrorist without evidence.
[Image: hoviksig-1.png]
Ex Machina Libertas
America went into a crazy direction after 9/11. We collectively decided we'd rather keep ourselves safe from potential terrorists than keep ourselves safe from an over reaching government.

As it is, the reason this was able to happen was because he was a foreign and Arabian. You want to see it stop? All you gotta do is start treating right wing militia groups the same way you do anti-American Islamic groups, you'll see things change fast.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I'm pretty sure that they violated most of his constitutional rights, and human rights for that matter. To think that the government would just take the bounty hunters' word for it is terrible, and the fact that he wasn't released is even more despicable. Whenever new laws are drafted people against it often try to claim that it is unconstitutional, yet this is the very definition of that. It goes against everything America is supposed to stand for.Sad
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Tino Wrote:It concerns me. It would also concern me if we treated non-uniformed armed combatants as US citizens who were simply accused of committing crimes. The asymmetric nature of the terrorist threat has created many situations that various governmental processes and systems were not designed to handle, and as a result, don't handle well. This is one of them. However given what we know about Guantanamo detainees, this man's death is very likely to be attributable to his actions against the United States. He was essentially a prisoner of war in a war that continues. Therefore his incarceration was justified and moral, and his death, while saddening, is due to his actions and those of his people.

Am I correct in assuming you think everyone in Guantanamo Bay deserves to be there?

Also, taking this story at face value, how exactly was this "justified and moral?"

(September 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm)Darkstar Wrote: It goes against everything America is supposed to stand for.Sad

Supposed to, yes, but in reality, after 9/11 America seemed to stand for revenge at any price.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Am I correct in assuming you think everyone in Guantanamo Bay deserves to be there?

Also, taking this story at face value, how exactly was this "justified and moral?"

Exactly my point. I got the impression that he (and some others at Guantanamo) were falsely imprisoned. I'm pretty sure that Guantanamo is infamous for a reason.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(September 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm)Tino Wrote:

er.... Tino. Not to contradict you but I think you'll find he wasn't actually charged with anything. He was picked up by bounty hunters claiming he was a terrorist who since have shown signs of being corrupt and picking up random guys to turn them in for a quick buck.
He was innocent. The bay is a dead zone, normal rules don't apply so he was detained there without trial. They don't give a fuck if you're innocent or not. They just want to torture you till you break and either give them information or a scapegoat to parade. Either one is a result.
Pretty much like a modern day inquisition.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] If Trump is indicted or charged, will he be convicted? Jehanne 30 2075 August 30, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1828 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1156 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5343 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  80 years.. WinterHold 45 1544 August 23, 2020 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  As Economy Crashes, Democracts Finally Start To Take Impeactment Seriously. ReptilianPeon 28 1888 September 22, 2019 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  'Sovereign Citizens.' Seriously? BrianSoddingBoru4 29 1824 August 21, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Trump under fire for racially-charged tweets against congresswomen zebo-the-fat 151 9886 August 10, 2019 at 1:16 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Worth The Read. Minimalist 12 905 July 5, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So happens if Trump is impeached after the mid terms this fall GODZILLA 16 2503 May 7, 2018 at 4:03 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4