Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you find meaning as an atheist?
How do you find meaning as an atheist?
I'm curious, how do other atheists find meaning in their life? I'm not talking about "purpose", that's something entirely different. What I'm talking about is the sense of a definite direction or duty to a person or thing. How do you find that in your life? What gives you that sense of meaning?

I won't share what does that for me until later on. I want to hear from you guys first.
RE: How do you find meaning as an atheist?
I find life pretty meaningless, so I just try to enjoy myself as much as I can.
Cunt
Guildmaster Wrote:I won't share what does that for me until later on. I want to hear from you guys first.

Why not?

Meaning? what is this thing you are harping on about? What is meaning?

I eat, I shit, I will die... what more do you want? In between all that, I enjoy what I do. What more do you want?

To marvel at where I find myself? Big deal .... It is rather awe-inspiring but then I'll be dead before I can understand less than 1% of say Stephen Hawking or Neil de Grasse Tyson.

For me personally, it is the growth and flourishing of my offspring. "The Selfish Gene" as it where.

What more (as a non-de-script hominid) do you want??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 14, 2013 at 9:03 am)AthianGuildmaster Wrote: I'm curious, how do other atheists find meaning in their life? I'm not talking about "purpose", that's something entirely different. What I'm talking about is the sense of a definite direction or duty to a person or thing. How do you find that in your life? What gives you that sense of meaning?

I won't share what does that for me until later on. I want to hear from you guys first.

How does one tie their shoes in the morning? What makes one take a shower or eat?

Evolution. If we didn't do anything, we would get nothing. If we get nothing we don't get resources. If we don't gain resources, we die. It is ultimately that simple.
Being 21, in need of a stable future that education can offer me, passionate about music & wanting to be a father some day tend to keep my life full of meaning.

Basically, being born in the western world where arguably the earth is at your finger tips, how can you not find meaning around you?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
How do theists find meaning?
Same process, sans the deity/deities.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?

[Image: LB_Header_Idea_A.jpg]
Rock 'n roll is your answer.
(January 14, 2013 at 10:34 am)One Above All Wrote: How do theists find meaning?
Same process, sans the deity/deities.

I agree they find meaning, but how useful other than a placebo is gap filling in false hope? Kids find meaning in Santa too.
I figured out what was important to me.

I want a happy family someday. And I want to work in the industry that I am passionate about without letting it eat me alive. I am completely devoted to my fiance and my dog. They are often what gets me up in the morning (sometimes literally!).
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Ultimately evolution is the why. From the time we are born to the time we die we have ups and downs, times of happiness and sadness, all to different degrees, based on a multitude of factors. Finding meaning is not magic or robotic and can only be what the individual wants for themselves. "Meaning" is the balance between finding happiness with reality and knowing oneself without projecting oneself on others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the metaethical meaning of 'should'? Disagreeable 1 361 February 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  [Serious] Meaning in Life Gnomey 14 836 July 18, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  The Super-Meaning of Romantic Relationships InquiringMind 45 6625 September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 7964 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Meaninglessness of Meaning Mudhammam 42 13641 August 13, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The meaning of it all...? Baqal 12 3132 August 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  One thing I find encouraging on here! vodkafan 143 18773 August 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  "What is the meaning of life?"... Sejanus 48 11136 August 5, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe Beta Ray Bill 19 6460 June 4, 2014 at 5:20 am
Last Post: pocaracas
Lightbulb In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless FractalEternalWheel 5 2745 January 18, 2014 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Faith No More