Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 18, 2024, 11:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe
The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe
I do not present this info as a statement of fact, just a theory. I have only read about this theory, not studied it directly.

Theoretical physicist Lee Smolin, in his book The Life of the Cosmos presents the idea that the universe is perfectly fine-tuned for the creation of black holes, and so the universe does not exist to produce life, but to destroy it. Look at the facts: the vacuum of space and the radiation that comes from the quadrillions of stars out there will destroy any life that exists unless that life gets some sort of protection, like Earth's magnetic field.

All stars do is exist for billions of years, then convert to black holes. There are trillions of black holes out there. If the universe was designed, it was not made to create life, just destroy it, so therefore the Christian God can't possibly have designed this universe, if any god did at all. God would have no use for quarks, neutrinos, muons or kaons unless he was making a universe designed to make black holes. Atheism predicts exactly the universe we observe, since God would have no use of complex subatomic particles, deadly to our existence, to create life. Our world is just destined to be destroyed. Kind of depressing, but it shows that creating life is not the purpose of the universe.

If the universe could easily support life, that would be the evidence of a creator. But it doesn't. It only exists to create black holes. And what do black holes do? Theoretically, they reach a certain point and erupt, producing their own Big Bangs. Every black hole in existence could grow until it became its own universe, each one different from the other. That's what caused the Big Bang: the explosion of a black hole. So, theoretically, there could be trillions of universes out there, with trillions more universes growing in them. Will all black holes become universes? I don't know. But it's a theory that some should. Reproduction seems to be the ultimate goal of existence, whether living or not.

This theory doesn't explain when everything got started, but it's the best-sounding theory I've ever heard as to why the universe is the way it is. It does not support the theory that a supreme being designed the universe to create life, with life being a rare exception, not the rule. All that happens out there is the production of more and more uniquely-designed black holes that grow until they explode, then spread new universes. Sounds like a weed-patch.

Can it be proved? Of course not. But it makes more sense than religions saying the creator of the universe was trying to spread life. It's just a hypothesis--but so is Christianity.

Remember, I haven't read the book, so maybe I'm wrong about it's content, but I think I'm close.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
RE: The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe
Incorrect. The answer is 42.
Not all stars end up as black holes. Sub-atomic particles are the building blocks for the atomic particles that make up atoms. And atoms, as well all know, are what all life is composed of. Yes, sub-atomic particles are hazardous to one's health, just as some atoms are hazardous (i.e., uranium). The universe is not finely tuned for life, but that fact does not prevent life from existing under the right conditions. In fact, the destruction of stars in supernovae is a process that forms the very building blocks of life. By the way, (element) 42 is not the answer: Although molybdenum in trace amounts is a vital element and was critical during the evolution of eukaryotes, in higher concentrations it can cause diarrhea, growth retardation, infertility, low birth weight and gout; it can also affect the lungs, kidneys and liver. Smile
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Well, I'm no scientist. I thought it was an intriguing theory, though.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
(October 4, 2013 at 9:57 pm)orogenicman Wrote: By the way, (element) 42 is not the answer: Although molybdenum in trace amounts is a vital element and was critical during the evolution of eukaryotes, in higher concentrations it can cause diarrhea, growth retardation, infertility, low birth weight and gout; it can also affect the lungs, kidneys and liver. Smile

Heresy!
No the universe is finely tuned to create sentient living beings and black holes are the byproduct of the process. You're getting this all wrong!
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(October 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Incorrect. The answer is 42.

Incorrect. You forgot to carry the 2. The correct answer is 5.
(October 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: No the universe is finely tuned to create sentient living beings and black holes are the byproduct of the process. You're getting this all wrong!

hmmm... I think black holes ARE sentient.
Prove me wrong! Remember to keep an open mind!
(October 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(October 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: No the universe is finely tuned to create sentient living beings and black holes are the byproduct of the process. You're getting this all wrong!

hmmm... I think black holes ARE sentient.
Prove me wrong! Remember to keep an open mind!

I once dated a beautiful sentient being
with two black holes - skirted in pink.
(I kept encouraging her that there were 3, butt....)
(October 8, 2013 at 5:51 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote:
(October 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Incorrect. The answer is 42.

Incorrect. You forgot to carry the 2. The correct answer is 5.
Absurd! 42, or I show up with dynamite strapped to my chest!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 4344 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1632 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1238 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What is the metaethical meaning of 'should'? Disagreeable 1 356 February 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  [Serious] Meaning in Life Gnomey 14 793 July 18, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11262 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Super-Meaning of Romantic Relationships InquiringMind 45 6567 September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 7901 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 18302 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2037 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy