Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"What is the meaning of life?"...
"What is the meaning of life?"...
I always hear this question asked as if it's some profoundly deep philosophical conundrum that can't be answered. Well, it isn't. Fact is, life is just organic chemicals that can self-replicate. It has no intrinsic meaning. The fact that we have a complex enough bag of chemicals in our skulls so that we are self-aware means nothing. If the question is directed towards your life in particular, I'd say the answer is whatever meaning you will it to have.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

RE: "What is the meaning of life?"...
I think any meaning you take from life is your decision. It's all internal. Is there any reason you can think of to improve yourself, the people in your life, or the world you live in? That's your meaning. People give themselves meaning, because their lives are ideally in their own hands.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Quote:Fact is, life is just organic chemicals that can self-replicate. It has no intrinsic meaning.

But, but, but, what about jebus?
Jesus can go fuck himself as far as I'm concerned.
[Image: thfrog.gif]

Vodka
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
Aw...fuck it.

Why not.

(June 2, 2014 at 8:34 pm)Sejanus Wrote: I always hear this question asked as if it's some profoundly deep philosophical conundrum that can't be answered.
I think that as time goes on and human knowledge continues to advance and we keep discovering more and more about our world and universe, the fact that we do not ever find god leaves theists with no other option than to approach the matter from the other end-- is there a way to convince people that god has to exist? I think that most of the discussions here revolve around that idea, that the world cannot exist and cannot even make logical sense without god, therefore god must exist.

Personally, I think it makes no logical sense that a god that was so active and so involved in humanity and so downright IN YO FACE for thousands of years suddenly decided "bleh, the heck with it" and so completely and thoroughly disappeared that he left no trace aside from some very old campfire tales that were sloppily written and assembled into a book that doesn't provide the answers that its believers purport it to.

These questions --about meaning and purpose in life, about intelligent design, about metaphysics and NDAs and whatever else gets thrown around here-- are being discussed for the simple reason that god won't show himself and settle the issue once and for all.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
There is nothing more depressing than the idea that our lives have meaning (reason) allocated to us by some over-bearing sky-dictator and that meaning is to worship him.

Fuck that!

I'm an atheist - I'm free - I have no pre-defined meaning laid out for me. I choose my own meaning.
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
Forty Two
“I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"

Death thought about it.

"CATS," he said eventually. "CATS ARE NICE.”

― Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the metaethical meaning of 'should'? Disagreeable 1 358 February 26, 2022 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  [Serious] Meaning in Life Gnomey 14 801 July 18, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  The Super-Meaning of Romantic Relationships InquiringMind 45 6579 September 29, 2016 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Let's Say I Achieve "Meaning." What Do I Do Next? InquiringMind 51 7939 September 25, 2016 at 3:16 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 14805 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Meaninglessness of Meaning Mudhammam 42 13618 August 13, 2015 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The meaning of it all...? Baqal 12 3126 August 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  The Meaning of the Universe - Maybe Beta Ray Bill 19 6379 June 4, 2014 at 5:20 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4053 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Lightbulb In the universe there is no meaning nor is it meaningless FractalEternalWheel 5 2739 January 18, 2014 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Faith No More