Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Countries Where Atheism Is Accepted, Even Celebrated, Instead of Demonized
8 Countries Where Atheism Is Accepted, Even Celebrated, Instead of Demonized
In many places around the world, this is an unprecedented era of freedom and social acceptance for non-believers

Quote:A lot of non-believer writers and activists focus, rightly, on the continuing lack of acceptance in many societies and nations of those who profess no belief in religion. Keeping an eye on what’s not working is the first step toward making improvements. Still, in many places around the world, this is an unprecedented era for non-believers of freedom and social acceptance. In the spirit of celebrating the amount of progress secularism has made around the world, here’s a list of eight of the best countries in which to be a non-believer.

Link

Quote:And don’t forget: Americans may tell pollsters that they are really religious, but they’re often exaggerating. When you measure how often people go to church versus how often people say they go to church, they don’t differ that much from other industrialized nations.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
RE: 8 Countries Where Atheism Is Accepted, Even Celebrated, Instead of Demonized
[Image: faith-in-humanity-restored.jpg]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: 8 Countries Where Atheism Is Accepted, Even Celebrated, Instead of Demonized
It's a good article, although I totally dispute statement about the US this:

Quote: The levels of religiosity in this country rival that of many Muslim theocracies

That's not even close to a true statement. Not even close to close to being close.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Go to Mississippi.

As with so much in the US it depends on where you happen to be standing.
(January 17, 2013 at 12:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Go to Mississippi.

As with so much in the US it depends on where you happen to be standing.

I didn't know that women aren't allowed to drive in Mississippi. Go to Saudi Arabia, and compare that to Mississippi. It's just silly to say such things.

Aside from Canada, the US is probably the least religious country in the Americas, much less the middle east, and I live in Utah. Even compared to Mexico, which is maybe the least religious country in Latin America, you see much less religious trappings and religious influence here. People who say such things just haven't traveled.
Oh, good. Let's compare ourselves to fucking Saudi Arabia so you don't have to feel so bad about the republicunt fuckheads who are running things in Mississippi.
(January 17, 2013 at 3:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Oh, good. Let's compare ourselves to fucking Saudi Arabia so you don't have to feel so bad about the republicunt fuckheads who are running things in Mississippi.

Well, the statement in contention is "The levels of religiosity in this country rival that of many Muslim theocracies".

That does narrow down the Islamic states that qualify to only a few of the most backward. In that subset, the religous oppression probably does surpass even those commonly found in Alabama.

However, Saudi Arabia is arguably not a "theorcracy", even if regliously extremely conservative, so comparing Alabama to Saudi Arabia does not address the originsal contention.
(January 17, 2013 at 3:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Oh, good. Let's compare ourselves to fucking Saudi Arabia so you don't have to feel so bad about the republicunt fuckheads who are running things in Mississippi.

I didn't compare us to Saudi Arabia, I said there is no comparison between the two. Glad that you agree (I think)
From the 25 most atheist nations on the planet, 19 are in Europe.
I wouldnt say that it is celebrated here, people just dont see it as importent.

http://www.infobarrel.com/25_Most_Atheis..._the_World
(January 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm)Chuck Wrote: That does narrow down the Islamic states that qualify to only a few of the most backward. In that subset, the religous oppression probably does surpass even those commonly found in Alabama.

However, Saudi Arabia is arguably not a "theorcracy", even if regliously extremely conservative, so comparing Alabama to Saudi Arabia does not address the originsal contention.

That's true, Iran then. It doesn't matter, it's a ridiculous comparison. In fact Min himself just said it's not fair to compare the two.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why superpower countries do not overthrow Islamic government of Iran? Anti.Enslave 18 207 3 hours ago
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do non english speaking countries call USA for USA Sweden83 9 1110 December 4, 2020 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Americans supporting sexual misconduct survivors even less than before? Rev. Rye 6 965 October 28, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Even The FOX FUX Have Had Eniough of the Orange Turdfuhrer Minimalist 2 370 October 11, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Shameless, Even By Trump's Standards Crossless2.0 8 1081 August 29, 2018 at 2:22 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Can You Guess Which Countries Have More "Women In Parliament" Than The USA? ReptilianPeon 7 1465 July 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jordan Should Have Been A Priest Instead of a Congressman Minimalist 1 425 July 11, 2018 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Why do countries in the middle east allow religion to have such an influence? GODZILLA 11 1271 April 12, 2018 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Ruckus123
  Some countries literally are shitholes John V 99 13031 January 22, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Even "The Economist" Has Figured It Out Minimalist 7 1667 August 20, 2017 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb