Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gay Marriage Issue Misses the Point
The Gay Marriage Issue Misses the Point
In the gay-marriage debate, the debate primarily centers on whether the religious people will be allowed to persecute the gay, even though many gays are religious. The opponents of gay marriage typically base their opposition on marriage being between a man and a woman, based on some Biblical fantasy. The proponents of gay marriage argue that equal protection applies; that is, since straight people get to marry, gays should have the same equal rights. Both sides miss the point of the gay-marriage issue.

The fact is that it is no one's business whether two or more consenting adults want to get married. The idea one needs permission from the state to marry is offensive. The debate on gay marriage would be completely unnecessary if people recognized that no one has the right to tell another adult whether they can marry another consenting adult. And since no person has such a right, no group of people do either, and that includes the state.
RE: The Gay Marriage Issue Misses the Point
(January 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm)ComplexityofChaos Wrote: In the gay-marriage debate, the debate primarily centers on whether the religious people will be allowed to persecute the gay, even though many gays are religious.

Where has anyone said "we want to persecute gays"? Most gay-bashers are far too illiterate to use that sentence, and most of those who could form it are against it for *wholly different reasons* than an active desire to see someone arbitrarily persecuted.

Quote:The opponents of gay marriage typically base their opposition on marriage being between a man and a woman, based on some Biblical fantasy.

Just that? Boy are you glad you weren't around for the 1960s. All this crap about black people not being allowed to marry (at all?) white peeps. Goalpost moving, these silly people aren't well studied in the history of marriage (wholly invented by and for the nobility).

Quote:The proponents of gay marriage argue that equal protection applies; that is, since straight people get to marry, gays should have the same equal rights. Both sides miss the point of the gay-marriage issue.

How about stupid people? I'm against stupid people getting the nasty on, regardless of whether they marry or not. Why should stupid people deserve the right to marry... or vote?

Quote:The fact is that it is no one's business whether two or more consenting adults want to get married. The idea one needs permission from the state to marry is offensive.

By offensive... do you mean, 'traditional'? Because one doesn't typically use the two in the same sentence. Maybe you're one of them hipsterz though.

Quote:The debate on gay marriage would be completely unnecessary if people recognized that no one has the right to tell another adult whether they can marry another consenting adult. And since no person has such a right, no group of people do either, and that includes the state.

The debate on gay marriage would be completely unnecessary if people recognized that marriage is utterly pointless, and that longterm committed relationships are wholly possible without an arbitrary written contract between a man and his propert-oh wait.

The state is exactly what feeds your little mind that you have the 'right' to do *anything*. 'The only rules are what a man can do, and what he can't.' Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(January 19, 2013 at 6:38 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: 'The only rules are what a man can do, and what he can't.' Wink

[Image: captain-jack-sparrow.jpg]
Exactly. Why anyone gives a shit who anyone else wants to sign a piece of meaningless paper with is beyond me. People can marry their dogs for all I care.
(January 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm)Joy Squeezy Wrote: People can marry their dogs for all I care.

As long as they don't consummate the marriage of course. I'm pretty sure dogs can't consent.
(January 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm)Insanity x Wrote:
(January 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm)Joy Squeezy Wrote: People can marry their dogs for all I care.

As long as they don't consummate the marriage of course. I'm pretty sure dogs can't consent.

Well it depends... does the dog come over to fuck you, or...?

Because with the amount of leg-humping they're prone to... I'm pretty sure they're at least a little interested in some cross-species action.
As much as I'd like to be able to say "Screw the state! We're in love, so we say we're married regardless of what anyone else says!" that isn't the full story. There are very real and significant benefits that same sex couples are specifically excluded from due to the fact that the state doesn't legally recogonize them as being married. From tax benefits to inheritance to hospital to insurance same sex couples are getting ths short end of the stick on a pretty damn regular basis.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(January 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm)Joy Squeezy Wrote: Exactly. Why anyone gives a shit who anyone else wants to sign a piece of meaningless paper with is beyond me. People can marry their dogs for all I care.

It's romantic Wink

Kill me...
(January 19, 2013 at 6:50 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: Well it depends... does the dog come over to fuck you, or...?

Because with the amount of leg-humping they're prone to... I'm pretty sure they're at least a little interested in some cross-species action.

I'm not even sure how to respond..
(January 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm)Insanity x Wrote: I'm not even sure how to respond..

Dogs are actually fairly intelligent for mammals, and they bone year-round... just like humans do.

Did you know: Chimps and other monkeys have been known to sexually harass, assault, and even rape human women before? (Right before kidnapping and eating their babies)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1161 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  At what point is America no longer a safe place for me to live? TaraJo 41 3960 July 16, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 530 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russia Bounty Issue is Indefensible AFTT47 19 1241 July 7, 2020 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1597 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1550 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2532 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Ukraine/Crimea/Russia issue Mystic 23 5580 April 5, 2019 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The cruelty is the point Aroura 8 1039 October 12, 2018 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  My issue with Musk sending a Tesla into space Coveny 16 1565 February 10, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Fireball