Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The religion challenge!
The religion challenge!
Ok, so I've told my back story a time or two here, but I'm going through it again for the sake of this post. A long time ago, I went through a difficult time in my life and all the prayer in the world didn't do jack to help me. That was when I decided, I'll dedicate my life to whatever supernatural deity chooses to show me that he/she/it exists. So far, no response.

I figure I might as well post the challenge here, too. I mean, the theists here want to spread their religion, right? And, honestly, I'd love to spend life in eternal paradise or whatever your religion believes in.

So, that's my challenge: show me which religion is correct. I'm extremely open minded about what kind of proof I'll accept, but whatever proof is provided will still have to stand up to criticism.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: The religion challenge!
Quote:I went through a difficult time in my life and all the prayer in the world didn't do jack to help me.

Those supposedly in the know do not rely on it, either.

[Image: demotivational-posters-popemobile.jpg]

So, that's my challenge: show me which religion is correct. I'm extremely open minded about what kind of proof I'll accept, but whatever proof is provided will still have to stand up to criticism.

______

Actually - If you consider Buddhism and Confucianism as being religions - although neither accept the existence of a "god" - and are based purely on morals and ethics (And predate christianity) - pick either one. I can accept that being moral and ethical is a good thing - I'll bet you can too.

However - I have the ability to be moral and ethical without actually being a Buddhist or Confucian - simple because there is NOTHING in those "religions" that had not already been said by humans before the time they were started.

AS far as god based religions -since NO ONE has ever provided a single piece of testable and verifiable proof of the existence of a god . Since ALL - YES ALL - ancient religions - including Xtianity and Islam all have demonstrable errors and contradictions in their "scripture" and beliefs - NONE of them could be the "correct" religion - based on their claims of perfection in their god.

So - in fact - why does ANYONE need a correct religion - or a religion at all?
(January 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm)ThomM Wrote: However - I have the ability to be moral and ethical without actually being a Buddhist or Confucian - simple because there is NOTHING in those "religions" that had not already been said by humans before the time they were started.

I won't speak to Confucianism, but it sounds like you know next to nothing about Buddhism.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
You obviously havent read christians thread "god is real and is seen by people" if you havent been converted to christianty yet like i have

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Re: The religion challenge!
I love you TaraJo Heart

[Image: soylent001.png]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 24, 2013 at 7:03 pm)apophenia Wrote: [Image: soylent001.png]
My memory is sketchy at best, but I don't think that's what he says in the movie...
(January 22, 2013 at 10:46 am)TaraJo Wrote: So, that's my challenge: show me which religion is correct. I'm extremely open minded about what kind of proof I'll accept, but whatever proof is provided will still have to stand up to criticism.

You're looking for concrete proof in a naturally abstract topic. If there was proof on either side of this subject, people wouldn't be so engaged in debate over it (of course some think they have definitive proof, but that is just arrogance bred from ignorance).

If you're looking for proof, you'll probably die without finding it. If you're going to epistemologically make a decision on what to believe, you must take philosophy, history, science, and your gut, and decide what sounds most probable to you.

I would implore you to concede to probable theory rather than proof.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4252 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  A challenge to anyone I guess! Mystic 27 5137 June 10, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Liberalism's Great Challenge? Minimalist 20 3334 September 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  A challenge to any and all religions collectively. Brian37 24 4503 May 2, 2016 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10699 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4893 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Greatest Challenge to Atheists Ever The Valkyrie 32 6694 October 19, 2015 at 9:36 am
Last Post: loganonekenobi
  Apologetics open challenge robvalue 172 39767 October 3, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Mystic
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19757 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  A simple challenge for atheists bob96 775 108099 February 20, 2015 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod