Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 8:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assumptions, and why you should stop asserting them!
Assumptions, and why you should stop asserting them!
Has anyone here ever seen an argument for God that did not rely on assumptions asserted as fact?

Most of the time i read an argument for god i have to say 'hold up one fucking second and prove that assertion!'

For example:

Objective Morals:
This one is the dumbest fucking things they can bring up, it's a complete and utter assumption always asserted as fact, and it pisses me off. You have no damn proof that morals are objective douchebags, and every single thing we know about morals shows that they are subjective, you can see that just by looking at any two states, countries, continents or just compare two periods of time, look back at all the sick as fuck shit condoned in your bibles; slavery, rape, incest, infanticide, genocide.... It's damn obvious that morals are not objective so stop fucking asserting it!

What are other stupid-as-fuck religious assumptions turned assertions that piss you guys off?
RE: Assumptions, and why you should stop asserting them!
(August 25, 2009 at 4:50 am)theVOID Wrote: Has anyone here ever seen an argument for God that did not rely on assumptions asserted as fact?

No but apparently being critical of such views makes you a "missing link" Confusedhock:

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Yeah, that missing part between their ears.
LOL, true enough. This carries into other things in life too, assumptions suck and have done more to harm things than they have to help overall. Particularly when it comes to friendships in recent years, where we mostly chat online, via text and we cannot communicate with body language and spoken words. So we have to be careful to err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt instead of thinking bad.

Which is still assuming but, forcing ourselves not to let imaginations run with baseless assumptions.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Quote:Has anyone here ever seen an argument for God that did not rely on assumptions asserted as fact?

No, because they are the only possible arguments that they can have. I'm always telling my son that he should not simply believe things that are told of him, especially at his 'Christian' school and he's now in the the habit of waving his finger at the teacher and asking, 'where's your evidence?'

Not making assumptions about the world around you is central the whole notion of critical thinking. Unfortunately you do tend to get labelled as cynical and cold by the woolly thinking brigade but personally I think this approach give you a far broader view of the universe as we're continually asking question of it and not just believing what we assume to be correct.

You've only got to look at apologists and theologists to see what happens when you start your argument with an assumption.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(August 25, 2009 at 4:50 am)theVOID Wrote: What are other stupid-as-fuck religious assumptions turned assertions that piss you guys off?

Any. Too many to list.

One is perhaps this fucktarded assumption that if the universe had to have a beginning, "Then that's God" - this is fucktarded because it's just sticking God in at the beginning...the beginning is infinitely more likely to be something simple, like some kind of natural singularity such as the big bang, or whatever - and if you're just going to label it God that does fuck all! And if you're going to shove in the supernatural God and so it's not just a metaphor, not just a label that you're using... then....

: Where the fuck is your evidence for that?! You ignorant stupid-assed hypothetical theist! Grr..

EvF
(August 27, 2009 at 2:20 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Not making assumptions about the world around you is central the whole notion of critical thinking. Unfortunately you do tend to get labelled as cynical and cold by the woolly thinking brigade but personally I think this approach give you a far broader view of the universe as we're continually asking question of it and not just believing what we assume to be correct.

I wholeheartedly agree.
(August 27, 2009 at 5:51 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(August 27, 2009 at 2:20 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Not making assumptions about the world around you is central the whole notion of critical thinking. Unfortunately you do tend to get labelled as cynical and cold by the woolly thinking brigade but personally I think this approach give you a far broader view of the universe as we're continually asking question of it and not just believing what we assume to be correct.

I wholeheartedly agree.

You please me strangely.....
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Actually... since all of our knowledge and evidence is assumed... > . >

As for which ones i get the big 'turn off' to: Omnipotence, Omnipresence, Omniloving, Black and White complex, and Refusal to Discuss complex.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(August 25, 2009 at 4:50 am)theVOID Wrote: Most of the time i read an argument for god i have to say 'hold up one fucking second and prove that assertion!'

From what I have gathered from here, if someone claims something pertaining to god.

That person would need proof that statement is true and would have evidence to prove that it is true.

To go blindly and assume that its true, would be a mistake.

And assumptions in general would be more wrong than right.

Amp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5493 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1550 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11575 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7754 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5353 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 9724 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Why did we stop inventing gods? Greatest I am 58 6162 August 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20981 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Believe in hell? well you might want to stop dyresand 6 3143 January 14, 2015 at 3:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15831 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope