Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhysOrg: Scientists Make Temperature-Regulating Coffee Mug
PhysOrg: Scientists Make Temperature-Regulating Coffee Mug
How cool is this?

Quote:PhysOrg: Scientists Make Temperature-Regulating Coffee Mug
Researchers Klaus Sedlbauer and Herbert Sinnesbichler from the Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics have created the temperature-regulating mug using phase change material (PCM). PCM is capable of storing and releasing large amounts of heat by changing its phase, such as changing from a solid to a liquid.

To design the new mug, the researchers first created a hollow porcelain shell filled with ribbons of highly conductive aluminum. The aluminum formed a honeycomb structure, which the researchers filled with solid PCM. When the mug is filled with a hot beverage, the PCM absorbs the heat and melts like wax into a liquid. This process cools the beverage down to the optimal temperature. As the beverage cools over time, the PCM slowly releases the stored heat back into the drink, maintaining the optimal temperature for up to 30 minutes.

As the scientists note, different drinks have different optimal temperatures. Warm drinks such as coffee and tea are best enjoyed at 58° C (136.4° F), beer tastes best at 7° C (44.6° F), and ice-cold drinks are best at -12° C (10.4° F). Since different types of PCM have different chemical properties and melting temperatures, the scientists can make different mugs for different beverages. The downside for the consumer is that there is not a single mug for hot and cold drinks.

PhsOrg notes: A well-insulated mug may keep your coffee somewhat warm, but now scientists have designed a high-tech mug that can keep drinks hot or cold at the perfect temperature for up to half an hour.

[Read The Rest Of The Article Here]

I mean how fucking cool is that?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: PhysOrg: Scientists Make Temperature-Regulating Coffee Mug
Sure it's another miracle!
Now can they start work on a glass that can turn water into wine??
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Bet the Priests are sitting around saying "Jeeze God, give us a break; they've made all sorts of neat stuff and we've had nothing from you in 2000 years!"
(August 26, 2009 at 8:39 am)theVOID Wrote: Bet the Priests are sitting around saying "Jeeze God, give us a break; they've made all sorts of neat stuff and we've had nothing from you in 2000 years!"

Nah ... they're such a bunch of whack-jobs they simply turn reality on it's head and say praise be to [enter your chosen deity here] and ignore the people who really did the work! It's like when someone's life is saved in a 10/20 hour operation ... it's not, "Thanks doctor, thanks team for your hard work and expert actions, it's ...
PRAYSE BAY TU THU LAWD GAWD ALMARTY!!!!"

Pisses me off!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I want one.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Why on Earth would I wait 30 minutes to drink my coffee?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 26, 2009 at 9:36 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Why on Earth would I wait 30 minutes to drink my coffee?
You wouldn't. It says the cup cools the liquid to the optimal temperature, and then maintains it for 30 minutes. You are supposed to drink it during those 30 minutes, not after. Big Grin
My coffee never gets the chance to cool down. Is that just me? Think
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I always drink my drinks shortly after I get them....cold drinks a few secs...hot drinks hardly longer lol.

EvF
I'd love to have this thing... it takes me ages to drink things. I like to savor the taste see, and you can't taste the things that are in your stomach. I usually avoid 'hot beverages' and 'cold beverages', because it usually takes me so long to drink them that they are no longer hot or cold.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3895 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Requesting help from scientists/astronomers on the forum. vulcanlogician 32 6334 January 21, 2018 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9868 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Are Scientists Still Looking for the Higgs Boson? Rhondazvous 24 8281 July 18, 2017 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Why We Have To Keep Scientists Busy. Minimalist 6 1888 December 11, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Scientists discover another Earth like planet A Theist 1 1416 July 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Scientists find oldest piece of Earth Cyberman 13 3030 March 2, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Scientists Discover a Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics pocaracas 4 2650 January 12, 2014 at 7:35 am
Last Post: salamenfuckyou
  Scientists Create never-before-seen Form of Matter AtheistCreed 10 4341 September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Scientists Speculate on Top-Secret Mars Rover Discovery Forsaken 10 6524 December 4, 2012 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Tiberius