Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legislation for gay marriage is approved in the UK House of Commons!
Legislation for gay marriage is approved in the UK House of Commons!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21346220

Yay! Now it just has to pass through the House of Lords and we'll be one step closer to equality.
Same-sex marriage in England & Wales
It seems soon more countries will be added to this list/map. After France, England and Wales made a big step forward today in legalizing same-sex marriage. Now come on Obama!

Quote:Netherlands (2001)
Belgium (2003)
Spain (2005)
Canada (2005)
South Africa (2006)
Norway (2009)
Sweden (2009)
Portugal (2010)
Iceland (2010)
Argentina (2010)
Denmark (2012)

The map looks better than the list, thanks to Canada.
[Image: _65707789_gay_marriage_624-02.gif]

From the guardian website;
Quote:• MPs have voted for the gay marriage bill by 400 votes to 175 - a majority of 225. Such a large majority probably increases the chances of the bill being able to get through the House of Lords this year, without the government having to rely on the Parliament Act to push it through in 2014.

• More than half of the Tory MPs who voted chose to oppose gay marriage. Initial figures suggest that 139 Tories voted against, and only 132 voted for. Technically this is not a rebellion, because it was a free vote. But it is a severe embarrassment to David Cameron.
RE: Same-sex marriage in England & Wales
lol.

Gay marriage legal in South Africa?!?! A country in which homosexuals fear for their lives, are regulary raped and oftern emigrate.
Double-post because of a shared enthousiasm. The admin will fix it.

Until then;
From the bbc-website;

Quote:South Africa, in November 2006, became the first African country to bring in marriage for gay couples - despite homosexuality remaining taboo in large parts of the continent.

That followed a 2004 Supreme Court of Appeal ruling - brought by lesbian couple Marie Fourie and Cecilia Bonthuys - that existing marriage laws discriminated against same-sex couples.
Want me to merge this thread with the one I posted?
Actually, I don't care :-) the message comes through. Delete this one, or yours or whatever :-)
RE: Legislation for gay marriage is approved in the UK House of Commons!
My daughter and her boyfriend made a cake to celebrate Big Grin

[Image: 563400_10200551536368334_622418564_n.jpg]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Commons may have passed it, lords, may be a bit more challenging.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Hey, if it goes through: good for them Clap
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
History marches on. Congratulations, UK!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1113 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Transgenderism versus Interracial Marriage. Jehanne 3 511 April 18, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Russia's Putin wants traditional marriage and God in constitution zebo-the-fat 17 1515 March 4, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Elizabeth Warren On Marriage Equality BrianSoddingBoru4 8 1517 October 15, 2019 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Shocked Do you think Trump will be arrested or kicked out of the White House soon? WinterHold 32 3687 July 25, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: John V
  One Less Cunt In The White House Minimalist 0 357 June 5, 2018 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  White House Gun Meeting Foxaèr 23 2061 March 1, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The White House, an adult daycare center. Jehanne 3 842 October 9, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  The House Joins The Senate Minimalist 20 1882 July 23, 2017 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The White House meets Westeros Foxaèr 2 514 July 16, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr