Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If ignorance is bliss...
Shocked 
If ignorance is bliss...
I know of people (mostly family) who I'm pretty sure would become very depressed and/or violent if they converted to atheism. Religion is what keeps them "sane."

It is commonly agreed among atheists that "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is a good thing to follow. Similarly, "do what make you happy" is also commonly stated among atheists.

If you were religious, and religion is what keeps you happy and/or keeps you from going on a killing spree, would you rather be kept in the dark? Is it ethical in other words to convert people to atheism if that conversion would negatively affect them?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: If ignorance is bliss...
I don't like it, but I think you have a point with the fact that not everyone can function in the face of god's nonexistence. I still think they're deluding themselves, but some need a good delusion to keep going. I see the need for delusions (not religious ones either) in my family of origin every day.
(February 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I know of people (mostly family) who I'm pretty sure would become very depressed and/or violent if they converted to atheism. Religion is what keeps them "sane."

It is commonly agreed among atheists that "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is a good thing to follow. Similarly, "do what make you happy" is also commonly stated among atheists.

If you were religious, and religion is what keeps you happy and/or keeps you from going on a killing spree, would you rather be kept in the dark? Is it ethical in other words to convert people to atheism if that conversion would negatively affect them?
Corollary: if someone is not religious and troubled, would you be opposed to them becoming somewhat religious if it made them better off in other ways? For instance, AA has some spiritual content. I've seen arguments between atheists on other boards regarding this. Some say a person is worse off going to AA. Others say that if it helps an addict clean up it's certainly a good thing.
(February 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm)John V Wrote: Corollary: if someone is not religious and troubled, would you be opposed to them becoming somewhat religious if it made them better off in other ways? For instance, AA has some spiritual content. I've seen arguments between atheists on other boards regarding this. Some say a person is worse off going to AA. Others say that if it helps an addict clean up it's certainly a good thing.
With AA and other 12 step programs, the term is "higher power of our understanding." Doesn't have to be god. Could be the 12 step group itself, nature, the universe, anything the individual holds higher than him/herself.
(February 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm)John V Wrote: Corollary: if someone is not religious and troubled, would you be opposed to them becoming somewhat religious if it made them better off in other ways? For instance, AA has some spiritual content. I've seen arguments between atheists on other boards regarding this. Some say a person is worse off going to AA. Others say that if it helps an addict clean up it's certainly a good thing.

I dont care what makes people happy.

What I have a problem with, is when they exist that I must do the same thing because they "know" that it will make me happy.
Sort of a "Matrix" kind of situation.

Not everyone is capable of handling the real world.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(February 12, 2013 at 3:43 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Is it ethical in other words to convert people to atheism if that conversion would negatively affect them?

You can't convert people to atheism, but you can possibly persuade them they're believing in fairytales. I think most of the better educated believers understand that there is chance that they could be doing something like that but will believe in it anyway because they can.
I think this was pretty well discussed with the allegory of the cave.. Plato I think it was. Happiness that is an illusion is still an illusion. Seeing a sunrise for what it is makes the beauty of it to me more real and vibrant.
Religion (and commandments) are what provides one's moral standards. Ignorance is bliss in a non-believers case because they do not know about religion or the commandments. But, if you are aware of them, you should use them for yourself, not to please God, but for yourself. And if you are able to follow them, you will eventually be rewarded.

Ignorance is bliss, but not many atheists can follow that because they are aware of it all. Unless I count their lack of belief as ignorant, which I won't go into, because it is just rude.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The ignorance of Ph.Ds schizo pantheist 44 8027 January 25, 2015 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  [split]Atheism is based of ignorance. Sword of Christ 158 41923 November 8, 2013 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Theism doesn't corner the market on ignorance. The Reality Salesman01 10 3745 October 13, 2013 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Vincenzo Vinny G.
  Atheism-limits of ignorance josef rosenkranz 17 11062 September 29, 2008 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet