Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:27 am

Poll: Who is Barack Obama?
This poll is closed.
Atheist
27.27%
6 27.27%
Christian
50.00%
11 50.00%
Other
22.73%
5 22.73%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Barack Obama be an Atheist?
Hi Everybody!

Now, I understand this sounds stupid for some since he swore on bible on Inauguration day, goes to church and says he is christian. But his politics says otherwise. Things he does are what most atheists would do like ,for instance, including atheists on first inauguration speech, being pro science/climate change/ abortion/ gay marriage/ investment in basic research just to name the few.

Could he be an atheist that doesn't admit publicly because it would be a political SUICIDE?

Goodnight
"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."
Benjamin Franklin
RE: Could Barack Obama be an Atheist?
His dad was one.

So I guess the possibility exists that he is.

Are you suggesting that certain political actions are specifically typical of an atheist and not, say, a liberal theist or consummate politician? How quaint.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Obviously he's a Muslim, duh. Fox news says so.
*Lives in a country where faith doesnt matter as long as you dont hurt anyone*
I apologize to you and everbody for making it sound stereotypical, but you're right he could be a liberal theist. The reason I'm more inclined to him being an atheist is that, for me, atheism has always been about "us" rather that than " we and them" (ex: we jews, they christians). Looking at his unconscious (non-verbal behavior etc.) when he travels to Europe and other parts of the world I see more of "us" than "we an them" attitude. For instance: In the speech in germany he says ...I'm citizen of the world. Plus he seems to have this atheistic optimist that most theists lack. Hi kinda have this "the future is bright" attitude to life.

(February 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Are you suggesting that certain political actions are specifically typical of an atheist and not, say, a liberal theist or consummate politician? How quaint.

"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."
Benjamin Franklin
I've always thought he was far too smart to believe in such abject bullshit as xtianity.

Now, Bush? THERE was a xtian.

[Image: bush_moron.jpg]

Obama does understand the need to play to the vast crowd of morons in this country, though.
I doubt Obama is an atheist, after all he was involved with the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago for quite a long time. However for somebody who is not an Atheist, he has shown more leadership from my Point of view on issues such as marriage equality, than Australia's self confessed Atheist Prime Minister.
undefined
I'm thinking probably not. But if so, it would make me want his babies even more.
Quote:I doubt Obama is an atheist, after all he was involved with the Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago for quite a long time.

Religion is a political prop in this country.

Remember Abe Lincoln.

Quote:Oh, that [his Thanksgiving Message] is some of Seward's nonsense, and it pleases the fools.

-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge James M Nelson, in response to a question from Nelson: "I once asked him about his fervent Thanksgiving Message and twitted him with being an unbeliever in what was published." Quoted from Franklin Steiner, The Religious Beliefs of Our Presidents, p. 138

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could this exciting 2019 comedy show about God, concern artificial intelligence? blue grey brain 8 1299 February 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Rahn127
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6530 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If you could correct "god's" mistakes... The Valkyrie 50 12903 April 23, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Could Gods hypothetically be atheistic scientists? causal code 5 2633 August 24, 2017 at 12:17 am
Last Post: Astonished
  The only way I could believe ....... Brian37 16 3413 April 28, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Could you still be an Atheist and believe in a "Soul"? CristW 73 14363 October 6, 2015 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: Mental Outlaw
  Obama reiterates: "I believe in God" Mudhammam 22 3009 July 31, 2014 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Do you wish you could believe in a Deity? emergencyScott 76 9478 June 11, 2014 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Atheists Could Not Answer This Question. kirkvin 34 8040 April 28, 2014 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: FifthElement
Question Could you tell me hesoyam 0 934 July 10, 2013 at 5:28 am
Last Post: hesoyam