Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is this wrong
is this wrong
If a terminally ill person who will die soon used their remaining strength to go suicide bombing out of hatred for the world what is the punishment for this? A quick death rather than dying slowly in a hospital. After death there will be no regret or any feelings. when mankind no longer exists nobody might as well have existed at all anyway, so nobody will remember what was done, and nobody will be suffering. Why should anyone care if pain is just neural signals. If a computer was programmed to "feel pain" using sensors is it wrong to hurt it? If a fetus can be aborted without it being called murder, the that fetus has no legal or moral bindings, which means anyone wanting to experiment on it by preserving and sustaining it in an artificial womb is free to do so. If a fetus manages to survive and grow into a child it is legally not human so nothing done to it is illegal. The fetus was only known to be aborted and nobody would ask questions. Is that wrong? Trying to figure this stuff out..
RE: is this wrong
Have you recently made the switch to atheism? I sense a lot of the complete despair I once felt when I realized I was an atheist.
I'm just hateful because I have aspergers and I can't do anything in life yet everyone else is able to at least do something, I'll have to die knowing my life was dull and repetitive while everyone else got to experience something. I'm a little agnostic though if there was a god its probably not some guy in the sky like all the religious people think, probably something more strange and far beyond human understanding if it existed. Or it doesnt exist. Oh well. Whatever.
(February 26, 2013 at 6:39 pm)scrythilb Wrote: If a terminally ill person who will die soon used their remaining strength to go suicide bombing out of hatred for the world what is the punishment for this? A quick death rather than dying slowly in a hospital. After death there will be no regret or any feelings. when mankind no longer exists nobody might as well have existed at all anyway, so nobody will remember what was done, and nobody will be suffering. Why should anyone care if pain is just neural signals. If a computer was programmed to "feel pain" using sensors is it wrong to hurt it? If a fetus can be aborted without it being called murder, the that fetus has no legal or moral bindings, which means anyone wanting to experiment on it by preserving and sustaining it in an artificial womb is free to do so. If a fetus manages to survive and grow into a child it is legally not human so nothing done to it is illegal. The fetus was only known to be aborted and nobody would ask questions. Is that wrong? Trying to figure this stuff out..

If i was terminally ill i wouldnt be angry at random people, id have people who i am angry at who i might want to kill before i die i suppose.

If fetus survives and grows into a child you say it isnt considered to be human? id say a child is a human so that part is confusing.

The question about a computer using sensors to detect pain would it be ok to hurt it? good question, as a human i have empathy for living things, mammals more so because i am a mammal, less so for fish and stuff thats just a natural state of affairs, im not sure that even an insect feels discomfort in the same way we do so im not sure if a computer could, so i dont know if its wrong to hurt it or not.

Why do you hate the world because of aspergers? if you said you had lost all your limbs or you had HIV id understand you being bitter but what is so bad about aspergers?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Just because the human race will eventually go the way of the Dodo untold millions of years down the line doesn't mean that there's no point in doing anything right now. Thousands of people today live on through books and film etc while they themselves are now a part of history. Who's to say that our species won't spread throughout the stars and flourish while our own pale blue dot vaporises in the Sun's expansion?

And where do you get this peculiar idea that a foetus that develops into a child isn't legally human? Not to mention that an aborted foetus couldn't possibly grow into a child, being dead and all.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 26, 2013 at 6:58 pm)scrythilb Wrote: I'm just hateful because I have aspergers and I can't do anything in life yet everyone else is able to at least do something, I'll have to die knowing my life was dull and repetitive while everyone else got to experience something. I'm a little agnostic though if there was a god its probably not some guy in the sky like all the religious people think, probably something more strange and far beyond human understanding if it existed. Or it doesnt exist. Oh well. Whatever.

Are your religious views supposed to say "hatred?" Because you sound pissed off.

As for Asperger's, I can't claim to know what that's like, but one thing to remember is that many if not most people have their own issues that they're dealing with. Life is full of suffering, and it sucks to deal with it. I'm guessing, however, that you must have good things in your life. Just as others don't know what it's like to have Asperger's, there are going to be things in your life that you take for granted that others are going to struggle with. The key is to focus on what you have, not what you don't.

Life is what you make of it, and if you expect it to be shit, it will be.

(ETA: Wow, I didn't realize how much that post sounded like a Dr. Phil lecture. My apologies.)
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
You seem to be inclined to the belief that the universe should, rather than does, have an intrinsic level of fairness and justice. It doesn't, it can only have these properties if we apply them to it.

If that person who's dying decides to commit a suicide bombing, then they'll be dead, and the living will remember them for a short while as a pestilence and a disgrace, and then forget them.
If a foetus is aborted, and dies, then that is the end of it. If it survives (which has happened, incidentally, and he is today considered a person), then it's still a human being by virtue of having the attributes of a human being.
When the human race dies, perhaps we'll become objects of curiosity for another race that might come after us. We might be the Forerunners of the Halo series

It's unwise to be saddened by facts when one can do nothing to change them. Even more unwise to fabricate something more comfortable.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
(February 26, 2013 at 6:39 pm)scrythilb Wrote: If a terminally ill person who will die soon used their remaining strength to go suicide bombing out of hatred for the world what is the punishment for this? A quick death rather than dying slowly in a hospital. After death there will be no regret or any feelings. when mankind no longer exists nobody might as well have existed at all anyway, so nobody will remember what was done, and nobody will be suffering. Why should anyone care if pain is just neural signals. If a computer was programmed to "feel pain" using sensors is it wrong to hurt it? If a fetus can be aborted without it being called murder, the that fetus has no legal or moral bindings, which means anyone wanting to experiment on it by preserving and sustaining it in an artificial womb is free to do so. If a fetus manages to survive and grow into a child it is legally not human so nothing done to it is illegal. The fetus was only known to be aborted and nobody would ask questions. Is that wrong? Trying to figure this stuff out..

Yes it is unethical. and a fetus becomes a human through development. once development has reach a certain point it is human. hopefully you can figure out the rest.
I could be wrong (it happens), but I smell a member of the Save the Tadpole Brigade.

I can't otherwise seriously consider a post that sandwiches existential nihlism and computers "feeling pain" between a bomb toting terminally ill octegenarian and a five sentence fetus diatribe.

Is this wrong?

If you can't figure out that it is wrong to harm your fellow man without the need of some divinely inspired book, I really feel sorry for you.

Abortion is a whole 'nother topic, and you shouldn't be confusing it around with the questions you're asking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7052 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 1964 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2050 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  Responding to "Homosexuality is wrong, the same way incest is wrong" JewishAthiest 106 25469 February 9, 2016 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Please correct me where I am wrong Won2blv 35 6787 May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 65004 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Argument of first world problems - WRONG! Dystopia 28 7872 January 18, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  [Video] What if I'm wrong about a intelligent designer? Secular Atheist 1 1202 September 28, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Try and prove me wrong on this... Mozart Link 78 13030 August 7, 2014 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG. Mudhammam 13 3237 July 22, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: ignoramus