Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:49 am

Poll: No forcible religious lessons?
This poll is closed.
Yes
87.50%
14 87.50%
I don't know
0%
0 0%
No
12.50%
2 12.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ban forced religious studies in schools
Ban forced religious studies in schools
Discuss
xXUKAFTTXx
RE: Ban forced religious studies in schools
Discus? Nah, I'm not a fan of field events.
I don't see why anyone, atheist or not, would want to force children to study religion.

Of course, if you were to ban that, it would only be banned in public schools. Private/Catholic schools still reserve the right to teach what they like.

But some public schools down south might need this ban.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

I'm for banning it everywhere. Children have enough important stuff to learn without having ancient shit shoved down their throats by idiot adults.
my religious lessons in school were great, i used to just sit at the back of the class and talk about tom green, n64 and playstation games and other 90s stuff, and all you had to do was remember some fairy tales in a book to get a good grade.
i still think it shouldnt be forced on people, same with drama lessons and music lessons.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

The difference is that drama and music require talent.

Religion just requires brain cramps.
(March 3, 2013 at 8:51 pm)paulpablo Wrote: my religious lessons in school were great, i used to just sit at the back of the class and talk about tom green, n64 and playstation games and other 90s stuff, and all you had to do was remember some fairy tales in a book to get a good grade.
i still think it shouldnt be forced on people, same with drama lessons and music lessons.

Well everyone hates having a ancient fairy tale shoved up the ass yo

"Skills" to be a pope:
Extreme sexual frustration
Be an anally retentive Faux News/broadsheet newspaper reader
Be a extremist asshat
xXUKAFTTXx

While I would agree with Min that there are, perhaps, more important priorities, I think teaching about religion is important for secular reasons. Ignorance of other religions is a fertile breeding ground for fanaticism, closed-mindedness, and intolerance. And for better or worse, religion and religious ardor are not going to disappear because we don't teach about the subject. It will just leave people ill-equipped to make intelligent life choices.

Ignorance, if avoidable, is never preferable to education. Whether the study of religion rises to equal importance with that of, say, civics, is another matter. Given its centrality in the lives of many presently and historically, I think it might be irresponsible not to teach it.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Frankly I think it should be mandatory. There's no better way to see the absurdity of something than to be given a thorough look at it.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
Quote:I think teaching about religion is important for secular reasons.

Hmm...the day you get a course entitled "The Problems with Jesus' Story" taught in Alabama I'll agree with you, Apo. For the most part, this shit is given far too much reverence.

Certainly far more than any of it deserves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid christans look to ban Good Omens GUBU 64 6217 July 11, 2019 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Jet again forced to believe Der/die AtheistIn 24 6335 August 10, 2017 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8092 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee
  Gay teen forced to sex his mother Foxaèr 56 17358 June 9, 2015 at 10:21 am
Last Post: comet
  Facebook To Ban Religious Posts and Memes SteelCurtain 32 12108 January 22, 2015 at 2:18 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Religious moderates enable religious extremists worldslaziestbusker 82 32465 October 24, 2013 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Optimistic Mysanthrope
  Ban all discrimination towards athiests xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 11 3535 March 3, 2013 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Ban religion to be forced on by parents xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 5 1840 March 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Creationism in UK Schools Chuff 10 5500 August 3, 2012 at 9:50 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Attack on Scientific Truth in Public Schools Erinome 59 22101 January 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Perhaps