Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another step closer to ending AIDS
Another step closer to ending AIDS
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...59748.html

A baby who was born with HIV 2 1/2 years ago seems to have developed to the point where the virus is having no real effect on her. Doctors simply started her on an aggressive anti-HIV medication regimine 31 hours after birth and kept it up for a while. Now treatment has stopped, but the child has shown no symptoms usually associated with HIV.

This is on top of the Berlin patient from a while back, a man who recieved a bone marrow transplant which seemed to cure him of HIV. Another two men from Boston may be on the same path. They contracted HIV, they stuck with their medication but had to get a bone marrow transplant. Now doctors are seeing something similar happen with their viral count. Only time will tell these guys are cured as well.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/27/...g-20120727

Could we actually have a treatment option for HIV that could actually cure the virus? This is more than a little exciting.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Another step closer to ending AIDS
I'm kind of interested that there's not much interest in this. Looking forward to an end to the AIDS epidemic in my lifetime Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(March 4, 2013 at 6:00 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: I'm kind of interested that there's not much interest in this. Looking forward to an end to the AIDS epidemic in my lifetime Smile

Yeah, the sad thing is that, now that HIV is currently fairly easy to keep in check, heterosexual interest in curing AIDS has kind of decreased. Why, yes, that is a damn shame.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(March 4, 2013 at 6:45 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(March 4, 2013 at 6:00 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: I'm kind of interested that there's not much interest in this. Looking forward to an end to the AIDS epidemic in my lifetime Smile

Yeah, the sad thing is that, now that HIV is currently fairly easy to keep in check, heterosexual interest in curing AIDS has kind of decreased. Why, yes, that is a damn shame.

You may very well be right.

Pay attention to politics, though. Between the sequester and republicans trying to fuck up the health care bill, a lot of people are going to lose access to HIV medications. Unless change is made, we're once again going to see a situation where wealthy, well-to-do people with HIV are cured but poor people are just left to die.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Science heals, Jesus doesn't.

Praise the microscope!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
As you say Tara; "another step closer!"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Creeps Closer To Fixing One of 'God's' Errors Minimalist 29 4273 February 24, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Never ending battle............... Brian37 0 285 November 14, 2017 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  CAR-T, The big step forward in cancer treatment The Valkyrie 9 1525 August 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Science Takes Another Step To Putting God on Unemployment Minimalist 15 2947 March 15, 2017 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Nonpareil
  What's the Next Step in Evolution for Homo Sapiens? Rhondazvous 58 9911 March 1, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  One step closer to proving abiogenesis? Scientists create "Near-Living Crystal" Ryantology 41 16618 January 31, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Abiogenesis: Closer Minimalist 3 1549 November 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  We are genetically closer to the puffer fish? Rob_W75 17 3195 August 30, 2014 at 4:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Setback in controlling HIV/AIDS TaraJo 27 4894 December 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Kenya making “huge progress” in fight against HIV/AIDS pocaracas 14 4092 September 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Zazzy