Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setback in controlling HIV/AIDS
Setback in controlling HIV/AIDS
http://gizmodo.com/hiv-reappears-in-two-...socialflow

Two patients, previously thought to have been successfully cured of HIV are now showing signs that they're still infected.

However, other cases of people who have been cured, from the Berlin patient to the baby born HIV+ and given an aggressive treatment early on, haven't showed any signs of infection since then.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Setback in controlling HIV/AIDS
Oh dear. Well, it's all progress at the end of the day, isn't it? If those two patients are still infected, we can find out what and learn from it. The fact that HIV has gone from a terrifying life-sentence for anyone infected, to an illness that can be managed long-term with medication in such a short space of time is fantastic in itself.
Is it ethical to risk your patients' health for science?

I really don't think it is.
(December 6, 2013 at 7:09 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Is it ethical to risk your patients' health for science?

Who do you think they're "practicing" medicine on?
(December 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote:
(December 6, 2013 at 7:09 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Is it ethical to risk your patients' health for science?

Who do you think they're "practicing" medicine on?

This isn't malpractice, this is deliberately conducting research that jeopardizes patients' health.
(December 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:
(December 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: Who do you think they're "practicing" medicine on?

This isn't malpractice, this is deliberately conducting research that jeopardizes patients' health.

Having HIV is jeopardizing patints' health. Trying to cure it can greatly benefit their health, not to mention the health of countless other people who can use that treatment to formulate a more successful cure for others.

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(December 6, 2013 at 7:26 pm)TaraJo Wrote:
(December 6, 2013 at 7:17 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: This isn't malpractice, this is deliberately conducting research that jeopardizes patients' health.

Having HIV is jeopardizing patints' health. Trying to cure it can greatly benefit their health, not to mention the health of countless other people who can use that treatment to formulate a more successful cure for others.

No I mean having them stop their meds after the bone marrow transplant. The article made it sound like the sole purpose of that decision was to test if the transplant was the cause. They should've played it safe is my point, not the patients, the doctors who were advising the patients.
(December 6, 2013 at 7:28 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: No I mean having them stop their meds after the bone marrow transplant. The article made it sound like the sole purpose of that decision was to test if the transplant was the cause. They should've played it safe is my point, not the patients, the doctors who were advising the patients.

Ah. Gotcha.

But if he doesn't stop taking anti-HIV medication, how are we going to really know if the treatment worked or not?

(December 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm)TaraJo Wrote:
(December 6, 2013 at 7:28 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: No I mean having them stop their meds after the bone marrow transplant. The article made it sound like the sole purpose of that decision was to test if the transplant was the cause. They should've played it safe is my point, not the patients, the doctors who were advising the patients.

Ah. Gotcha.

But if he doesn't stop taking anti-HIV medication, how are we going to really know if the treatment worked or not?

We don't.

But that's the thing, it's unethical to risk patients' health for scientific gains. In medicine the endgame is health, not knowledge, and medical research has to toe this line if it's done on humans.

Of course risks are also taken every time you try a new treatment for research, there's acceptable and unacceptable risks usually determined by an ethics board. Like taking meds off a cancer patient just to have a placebo/control group is not allowed, you have to give them an existing proven to work medication.

I feel like the risks is pretty high in this case, considering it's HIV.
(December 6, 2013 at 7:42 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: But that's the thing, it's unethical to risk patients' health for scientific gains. In medicine the endgame is health, not knowledge, and medical research has to toe this line if it's done on humans.

Of course risks are also taken every time you try a new treatment for research, there's acceptable and unacceptable risks usually determined by an ethics board. Like taking meds off a cancer patient just to have a placebo/control group is not allowed, you have to give them an existing proven to work medication.

I feel like the risks is pretty high in this case, considering it's HIV.

Staying put has risks, too, y'know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is prostatin not the cure to HIV highdimensionman 2 555 May 23, 2022 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The HIV plan brewer 2 275 February 7, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Greeks self-inject HIV to claim benefits pocaracas 6 1587 December 1, 2013 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Psykhronic
  Kenya making “huge progress” in fight against HIV/AIDS pocaracas 14 4092 September 19, 2013 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Another step closer to ending AIDS TaraJo 5 2303 March 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Scientists Disarm AIDS Erinome 35 9125 February 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  efective simian hiv vaccine created downbeatplumb 3 2655 May 13, 2011 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  A cure for HIV? theVOID 3 1423 December 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: chasm
  Scientists find protein that destroys HIV in monkeys. Tiberius 14 5149 August 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet