Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science Takes Another Step To Putting God on Unemployment
Science Takes Another Step To Putting God on Unemployment
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/complex-...st-genome/

Quote:Complex synthetic life moves closer with designer yeast genome

Quote:Scientists have taken a big step toward designing complex forms of life from scratch by constructing five new artificial chromosomes of baker’s yeast, representing a third of the micro-organism’s genome, or genetic blueprint.
The international team used computers to create laboratory-made versions of the threadlike structures that carry genetic code inside cells.
Synthesizing genomes may alarm some who see biotechnologists “playing God” but scientists view it as a logical extension of existing genetic engineering that is already used routinely to make drugs like insulin, as well as genetically modified crops.
RE: Science Takes Another Step To Putting God on Unemployment
When we finally, unequivocally synthesize life in the lab from scratch, the talking point will go from 'if God isn't real why haven't scientists been able to create life?' to 'we meant out of nothing with a magic word, like God did it'. Actually it will go to 'I don't remember saying that'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Yeah, we play god every time we turn on a light switch. Except using electricity is so commonplace now that we forget people used to think lightning came directly from the gods.

I'm sure people will say god does it better, because only he can give something a soul, or that he can poof one up from nothing, while we use what their god gave us. Whatever they can still hold on to for their god to remain special.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

There is virtually no limit to the amount of bullshit the theistic mind can dream up to retain their fucking fairy tales.
(March 9, 2017 at 3:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Yeah, we play god every time we turn on a light switch. Except using electricity is so commonplace now that we forget people used to think lightning came directly from the gods.

I'm sure people will say god does it better, because only he can give something a soul, or that he can poof one up from nothing, while we use what their god gave us. Whatever they can still hold on to for their god to remain special.

Haha, so true!  I tell my husband he's a magician, as far as I'm concerned.  He did take Defense Against the Dark Arst, after all.

It's become a running joke to say "Lumos!" every time someone turns on a flashlight.

People really do take technology for granted.  What we do now every day would absolutely be seen as godlike (or black magic) if we took it back 1000 years.  I try hard not to take it for granted.  I am absolutely TICKLED by new technology.  When motion activation fist came out, I giggled for MONTHS every time I used it or saw it used.  We can do some amazing things! 

It's too bad the majority are more like Kim Kardashian than Bill Nye.  We need better, and more, education!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(March 9, 2017 at 3:56 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: When we finally, unequivocally synthesize life in the lab from scratch, the talking point will go from 'if God isn't real why haven't scientists been able to create life?' to 'we meant out of nothing with a magic word, like God did it'. Actually it will go to 'I don't remember saying that'.

Reminds me of Scotty from StarTrek IV? V? The voyage home.
He sits down to an 80's computer and starts talking to it to input the formula for transparent aluminium for the new tank for the humpbacks. Nothing happens! They tell him to use the mouse! So he picks up the mouse and starts talking into it! Lol!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
A keyboard.  How quaint.
(March 9, 2017 at 3:57 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Yeah, we play god every time we turn on a light switch. Except using electricity is so commonplace now that we forget people used to think lightning came directly from the gods.

After Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod and they started to become popular, buildings with a long history of lightning strikes no longer had an issue with it.  At first the churchy people didn't like seeing lightning rods on their neighbors homes and buildings since at first glance it appeared to them a lightning rod was thwarting God from meting out his lightning bolts of punishment.

And then the folks with lightning rods pointed out that if a simple sharpened iron rod could deflect God's mighty wrath, God maybe wasn't all that mighty, and implying such a thing might be viewed as blasphemy.

And then it was also noted the lowliest and most decadent and depraved brothel in town was never struck by lightning if it had a lightning rod and meanwhile the town church with out one was struck regularly.

At some point the churchy folk decided to just shut the fuck up about lightning rods . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 9, 2017 at 7:30 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:

After Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod and they started to become popular, buildings with a long history of lightning strikes no longer had an issue with it.  At first the churchy people didn't like seeing lightning rods on their neighbors homes and buildings since at first glance it appeared to them a lightning rod was thwarting God from meting out his lightning bolts of punishment.

And then the folks with lightning rods pointed out that if a simple sharpened iron rod could deflect God's mighty wrath, God maybe wasn't all that mighty, and implying such a thing might be viewed as blasphemy.

And then it was also noted the lowliest and most decadent and depraved brothel in town was never struck by lightning if it had a lightning rod and meanwhile the town church with out one was struck regularly.

At some point the churchy folk decided to just shut the fuck up about lightning rods . . .

It is well documented that Yahweh has trouble when it comes to iron, after all.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Yahweh = pussy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Creeps Closer To Fixing One of 'God's' Errors Minimalist 29 4172 February 24, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  CAR-T, The big step forward in cancer treatment The Valkyrie 9 1506 August 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's the Next Step in Evolution for Homo Sapiens? Rhondazvous 58 9725 March 1, 2017 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  One More Time - Science 1 God 0 Minimalist 10 2828 April 28, 2016 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  One step closer to proving abiogenesis? Scientists create "Near-Living Crystal" Ryantology 41 16358 January 31, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Another step closer to ending AIDS TaraJo 5 2282 March 5, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Religion says we're rebelling against God; Science finds differently. TaraJo 29 12834 September 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Watch Where You Step, Folks Minimalist 9 2295 September 9, 2011 at 12:54 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The science behind why people reject science Kaptinjoo 6 2738 April 27, 2011 at 2:49 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Our cousins take another smalls step in the Evolution of Intelligence! theVOID 10 5373 January 5, 2010 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet