Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with unavoidable Religious Situations
Dealing with unavoidable Religious Situations
How do you deal with unavoidable religious situations like the funeral of someone super religious?
RE: Dealing with unavoidable Religious Situations
I dont talk about religion with my religious friends, then again - I dont have that many religious friends. Not cause I reject them or avoid them or so. I simply live in a country in which 40% of the population is non religious and the rest not fundermentalist. At funerals I simply go with all the stuff but cause I see it as an exception, I would feel like a moron if I would simply walk out of a church when people start praying, so I stay seated and simply listen.
(March 6, 2013 at 6:43 pm)mamamia88 Wrote: How do you deal with unavoidable religious situations like the funeral of someone super religious?

Go through the expected motions for a funeral. As for someone super-religious, ignore them if they are strangers, politely refuse to discuss if are simply known to you (especially with authority figures like your boss or other co-workers) and with family or friends - shoot down their arguments one by one until they change the subject.
You kinda have to let people be religious at a funeral because it's how they deal with death. But you don't have to bow your head and pray with them. I don't.
What genkaus said. I'll add that if religious subjects come up, nod politely and steer the conversation in another direction as quickly as possible. There's no need to make a situation that's uncomfortable for you uncomfortable for anyone else, particularly someone else's funeral or wedding.

I for one am glad that I won't likely ever have to sit through another Catholic service as all of my Catholic relatives are already dead.
I have found editing what I hear in my head to be effective. Replace every mention of "god" with, I don't know, He-Man, or whatever you would like.
I was cornered into going to church with my in-laws over Christmas this year, this strategy worked well for me (I can have knee-jerk reactions to religion). That and when the minister said, "Now let us pray…" my 4 year old shouted, "Blah, blah, blah!" much to the horror of my in-laws.
I believe Samuel L Jackson describes what you do in such a situation in Jackie Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk6Utpg5JcM

Tongue
Cunt
(March 7, 2013 at 11:38 am)festive1 Wrote: I have found editing what I hear in my head to be effective. Replace every mention of "god" with, I don't know, He-Man, or whatever you would like.
I was cornered into going to church with my in-laws over Christmas this year, this strategy worked well for me (I can have knee-jerk reactions to religion). That and when the minister said, "Now let us pray…" my 4 year old shouted, "Blah, blah, blah!" much to the horror of my in-laws.

The kudos was for your 4-year old. Please pass it on.
Will do! Leave it to small children to give voice to what is "improper" for adults to say.
At a funeral I would just nod your head, its not the kind of place to make a scene.

Although I have never been in that situation, my girlfriend has gigantic christian family and I went to a wedding of theirs last week. I managed to keep my mouth shut most of the time but the one situation that got under my skin is when each table had to fill in the blanks on bible verses and we got to eat in the order they were completed. Don't know the bible? Don't get to eat! I said "at my wedding I'm going to make people recite passages from Darwin's origin of species before they eat"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Responsibility transfer for atheists - dealing with uncertainty Catma 14 3923 November 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Catma
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12774 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Dealing with Death as an Atheist AlternativeArtStyles 82 12593 May 11, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Sad Dealing with overly emotional christian parents? interstice 17 3920 September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dealing with Religious Family Members Geekyalbatross 10 3027 September 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Dealing with Religious Friends Holden Caulfield 9 2531 July 12, 2014 at 9:02 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Question advice in dealing with fundamentalist inlaws praying at meals? matthewcornell 35 6233 June 9, 2014 at 9:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Dealing with loss sven 22 5004 April 22, 2014 at 3:31 am
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Books on dealing with suffering rybak303 14 7701 April 20, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Dealing with beliver friends on Facebook cheme 37 15989 August 30, 2012 at 2:12 am
Last Post: System of Solace