Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Literature?
Literature?
Not enought Literature being talked about here.

Soooooo

Well, I`ll simply start by listing my favorite writers.

Ellias Canneti
James Joyce
William Faulkner
Albert Camus
Elfriede Jelinek
Franz Kafka
Herman Hesse
David Foster Wallace

I guess Ulysses by James Joyce, Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace and The Blinding by Ellias Caneti are probably my favorite novels.
Most of what I read is very dark and has characters which are mostly horrible yet described with great detail. Sad, confusin dramas about personal misunderstandings or social injustices and their resulting complications and failures are probably what I enjoy most.
RE: Literature?
I haven't read James Joyce's Ulysses, but it has been on my list for a long time. I have so many books I like, it's hard to narrow down which ones I like the most, but I'll give it a try.

1. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Has always been my favorite series and always will be.
2. The Forge of God by Greg Bear. An interesting take on apocalyptic events.
3. Empress (part one of the Godspeaker trilogy) by Karen Miller. The rest of the series is boring, but this book was interesting, showing the childhood and life of the enemy.
4. Age of Five by Trudi Canavan. Not perhaps the best fantasy out there, but entertaining enough to make me read it over and over again.
5. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. A book I enjoyed as a kid.
6. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I love the Harry Potter series, but to see Rowling write non-fantasy fiction for adults was a surprising treat.
7. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite classic and zombies makes everything better.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

My favorite author hasn't gotten a nod yet, so I will take it upon myself. Marquez. 100 Years of Solitude is amazing! Love in the Time of Cholera is shorter, but Solitude is better.
I've attempted Ullysses a few times but always lose my momentum somewhere around halfway... I really liked The Portait of an Artist... and Dubliners, though.
Faulkner is awesome. A Light in August is my favorite. I really admire how all of Faulkner's works are inter-related. That's hard to do, even more difficult considering he did it without a computer and kept all those families straight.
Lately, I've been reading a lot of "fluff" as opposed to serious literature, ie. Song of Ice and Fire series, sad part is I've ruined the next season for myself.
(March 12, 2013 at 7:51 am)festive1 Wrote: I've been reading a lot of "fluff" as opposed to serious literature, ie. Song of Ice and Fire series, sad part is I've ruined the next season for myself.

Ditto! Big Grin

But I had to put a Feast for Crows back on the shelf, bf made me read Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Terry Pratchett and most Sci fi.

My most treasured tome is "Warplanes of the Third Reich" by Bill Green.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I've been reading a book of American short stories. Have read one each of Poe, Melville, Ambrose Pierce, and Hemingway so far. The Poe (Cask Of Amontillado) and Melville (Bartleby the Scrivener) were pretty meh. The Pierce (An Occurrence at owl Creek Bridge) and Hemingway (The End of Something) were good.
(March 12, 2013 at 5:55 am)Kayenneh Wrote: 7. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Pride and Prejudice is my favorite classic and zombies makes everything better.

It is an awesome book! The zombies really improve the story. And the illustrations throughout the book are quite hilarious too.

Anyway, I only really have one author to mention... and that is Max Brooks. Wink I carry around The Zombie Survival Guide in my bag wherever I go.
Cunt
At a friends place I read the first pages of "fifthy shades of grey".

I read of better portraided sex in novels which are almoust 70 years old!

I never liked fantasy, I only managed to get through the hobbit and half of the first lord of the ring book.
It feels like reading marx writing about castles.
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong and dusty
I simply cant read a novel which takes 5 pages to describe the architecture of a dwarf city.

I stopped reading fiction in my early twenties. I belong to a number of book clubs, but those are oriented around atheism, humanism, skepticism, and philosophy. Fiction selections are rare, and I read very little outside of my book club selections (and then, mostly non-fiction about atheism, philosophy, religion, or psychology/neuroscience).

Currently, one of my philosophy groups is reading Michel Foucault's Discipline and Punish. Not at the top of my list, but I like Foucault a lot.

(Oh, and as usual, I sporadically dip into Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching, the Zhuangzi, Sun Tzu's Art Of War, and associated commentaries.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: At a friends place I read the first pages of "fifthy shades of grey".

That series has my vote for shittiest books ever written. I have managed to get to the middle of the third book, but now I can't go any further. The story is nonexistent, the characters have no character and the sex is anything but BDSM. Absolutely a vile pile of shit!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English literature is the best Interaktive 4 627 August 16, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Morality in Literature Belacqua 7 357 November 27, 2020 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  College Literature.... Help me out if you can. Brian37 3 561 April 20, 2020 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize in Literature. Gawdzilla Sama 11 977 October 13, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Favorite quotes from literature. Something completely different 27 5829 December 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fantasy Literature? Galileo 9 2985 November 8, 2011 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Kayenneh