Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize in Literature.
Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize in Literature.
I kid you not. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/arts/m...ature.html
RE: Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize in Literature.
I knew he was pretty seriously nominated every year, but I always thought the committee sort of laughed him off. Without having to decide whether I think it makes sense for him to get the prize, I'll simply say: good for him. Way to go Bob. USA USA USA
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
There's nothing wrong in that decision. He is a pretty influencal poet. Leonard Cohen would deserve it too, by the way.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Once again, J.K. Rowling got robbed!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I guess the day when Stephen King or JK Rowling win will never come. They have to put up with simply being filthy rich and among the most read authors on this planet.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
At least the hoi polloi know greatness when they read it.
(October 13, 2016 at 8:31 am)abaris Wrote: I guess the day when Stephen King or JK Rowling win will never come. They have to put up with simply being filthy rich and among the most read authors on this planet.

I think the case for JKR is much more solid than for King as far as cultural importance is concerned, because she has succeeded arousing kids' interest in books like few others ever, whereas King simply just sells a lot.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 13, 2016 at 8:27 am)abaris Wrote: There's nothing wrong in that decision. He is a pretty influencal poet. Leonard Cohen would deserve it too, by the way.

Honestly, given that Leonard Cohen has published two novels and over a dozen books of poetry independent of his albums, I would have expected Leonard Cohen to win first, especially considering Len is over 80 and probably has less time to be honoured.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I love Bob Dylan's work and am very happy for him.

But seriously? He gets the Nobel ahead of giants like Philip Roth and Cormac McCarthy? Come on!
So, that's a bad thing, right?

I don't really follow all this Nobel Prize bullshit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English literature is the best Interaktive 4 640 August 16, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Morality in Literature Belacqua 7 374 November 27, 2020 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  College Literature.... Help me out if you can. Brian37 3 575 April 20, 2020 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Da Fuck, Bob!? BrianSoddingBoru4 25 2349 November 19, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Favorite quotes from literature. Something completely different 27 5872 December 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Literature? Something completely different 10 2035 March 13, 2013 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  An interview with Nobel Laureate Mo Yan Something completely different 0 936 February 26, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Fantasy Literature? Galileo 9 3001 November 8, 2011 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Kayenneh