Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Literature.... Help me out if you can.
College Literature.... Help me out if you can.
I cant remember the characters or the name of the book, it has been so long, late 90s, when I read it. But if I am remembering the plot correctly, it went like this. The superior officer was a giant douche bullying everyone until the "tragic hero" had enough and punched him and killed him. Now I don't remember if it was a merchant ship, or military ship, but if I am remembering correctly the "tragic hero" was forced to walk the plank because, rules/protocol say you cannot strike a superior ever, as implied by the book, even though the crew understood why.

It was not Mutiny On the Bounty.  But the implied era was the 1700s or 1800s. 

Anyone have a clue what that might be?
RE: College Literature.... Help me out if you can.
(April 20, 2020 at 8:48 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I cant remember the characters or the name of the book, it has been so long, late 90s, when I read it. But if I am remembering the plot correctly, it went like this. The superior officer was a giant douche bullying everyone until the "tragic hero" had enough and punched him and killed him. Now I don't remember if it was a merchant ship, or military ship, but if I am remembering correctly the "tragic hero" was forced to walk the plank because, rules/protocol say you cannot strike a superior ever, as implied by the book, even though the crew understood why.

You know I can’t resist a trivia question. Smile

The novel is ‘Billy Budd’ by Herman Melville. Billy was hanged, he didn’t walk the plank.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Private Benjamin!
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 20, 2020 at 9:19 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Private Benjamin!

Hardy Har Har.

Loved her in Wildcats though. Not exactly the answer I was lookign for.

(April 20, 2020 at 9:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 20, 2020 at 8:48 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I cant remember the characters or the name of the book, it has been so long, late 90s, when I read it. But if I am remembering the plot correctly, it went like this. The superior officer was a giant douche bullying everyone until the "tragic hero" had enough and punched him and killed him. Now I don't remember if it was a merchant ship, or military ship, but if I am remembering correctly the "tragic hero" was forced to walk the plank because, rules/protocol say you cannot strike a superior ever, as implied by the book, even though the crew understood why.

You know I can’t resist a trivia question. Smile

The novel is ‘Billy Budd’ by Herman Melville. Billy was hanged, he didn’t walk the plank.

Boru

THANK YOU! I didn't ask that as a Trivia question though, I was really asking because I forgot.

THAT WAS IT! 

I only remember it now because I can remember being the only person in the class defending him.

Looking back at it now though, in reality, legally he'd still be punished because nobody has the right to take the law in their own hands. But based on the plot, he certainly didn't deserve a death sentence.  Shit, I didn't get it all right in my memory, for some stupid reason I thought he was made to walk the plank. 

YOU DA MAN... That was bugging me all day!

Holy shit I totally forgot about his stutter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English literature is the best Interaktive 4 627 August 16, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Morality in Literature Belacqua 7 357 November 27, 2020 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Can I be Frank with you, you don't like tea. Brian37 17 855 November 18, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: no one
  Regulars, a little help if you remember. Brian37 23 1432 January 28, 2020 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Someone help me out..... Brian37 21 1045 October 12, 2019 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  You've seen it, you can't unsee it, and it'll change your perception of music forever Alex K 5 1240 April 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Bob Dylan awarded Nobel Prize in Literature. Gawdzilla Sama 11 977 October 13, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Favorite quotes from literature. Something completely different 27 5829 December 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Literature? Something completely different 10 2021 March 13, 2013 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Fantasy Literature? Galileo 9 2985 November 8, 2011 at 8:03 am
Last Post: Kayenneh