Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:17 pm

Poll: Do you believe in the Multiverse?
This poll is closed.
Yes
7.69%
1 7.69%
No
30.77%
4 30.77%
Undecided
61.54%
8 61.54%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists: Do you believe in the multiverse?
Atheists: Do you believe in the multiverse?
A question asked purely for research reasons! I'd like some sort of an idea on how many have faith in the multiverse.
RE: Atheists: Do you believe in the multiverse?
I don't "believe" in much of anything.

If there is evidence for it I'll consider it.

Last I heard it was little more than a brain fart of somebody.
(March 19, 2013 at 4:21 pm)Mendacium Remedium Wrote: I'd like some sort of an idea on how many have faith in the multiverse.

I don't like things that require faith in order to be believed.

I also do not know enough about the idea of parallel universes to provide an answer. I'll say a default no, though.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Given that the ideas of a multiverse are all hypothetical rather than theoretical so far, I am of no opinion either way.
(March 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Given that the ideas of a multiverse are all hypothetical rather than theoretical so far, I am of no opinion either way.

This. Until it's supported by more than just the math, I'll leave it in the "undecided" bin.
(March 19, 2013 at 4:21 pm)Mendacium Remedium Wrote: A question asked purely for research reasons! I'd like some sort of an idea on how many have faith in the multiverse.

We don't take things on faith. We leave that to the theists. We rely on evidence. The multiverse idea is still highly theoretical and does not yet warrant belief as the current preponderance of evidence does not add up to "more likely than not".
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(March 19, 2013 at 4:34 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(March 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Given that the ideas of a multiverse are all hypothetical rather than theoretical so far, I am of no opinion either way.

This. Until it's supported by more than just the math, I'll leave it in the "undecided" bin.

Seconded.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I don't take much on faith. Nor am I very familiar with this idea.
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
I don't believe in a multiverse because there is no solid evidence demonstrating there is one. Simple. I didn't put undecided, even though I think it might be possible for there to be a multiverse, I simply don't believe there is one (though I don't necessarily believe there certainly isn't).
The idea is really intriguing, and cosmological/physics discussions would definitely be more interesting if it is true.

That's not enough to make me believe in it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5243 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 10005 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Quick Poll - Do you believe in God? Tiberius 1632 452090 May 13, 2023 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2386 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 8151 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 13532 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 4073 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2341 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11355 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3211 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball